BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A man broke into a Boca Raton convenience store, stole cigarettes, was caught on tape, then returned to the store hours later as police were in the convenience store viewing the surveillance tape of the break-in.
Thomas Whittaker is now charged with burglary and retail theft.
Here’s the official rundown from Boca PD:
On Wednesday, May 30 at just after midnight, Boca Raton Police officers investigated an alarm at the B Kwik store, 1921 North Federal Highway. When they arrived, they found the front door smashed, but a gate enclosing the cash register area appeared undisturbed. A wrench was found inside the business that did not belong there.
Later that day, Boca Raton detectives returned to the store to get a copy of the surveillance video. The detective and the owner reviewed the video and watched as the suspect smashed the front door and went inside, where he took several packs of cigarettes. In the video the suspect was carrying a cream-colored backpack. While still reviewing the video, the detective and owner looked up and saw a male walking in the parking lot, who looked like the suspect and was carrying a cream-colored backpack.
The detective approached the suspect, identified as Thomas Whittaker of Boca Raton, born 7/28/1978. Whittaker said he was walking by the store the night before and smashed out the front door to steal cigarettes. Whittaker still had a pack of the cigarettes with him. When questioned further, Whittaker told the detective he was also looking to steal bath salts.
(Ed. Note: Bath Salts are what the man accused of eating the face of another in Miami over the weekend was allegedly “on” at the time of the assault).
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Major Problems Expected This Week In Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton
- Weather: Back To The 50’s This Week In Boca Raton, Delray Beach
- Century Village Resident Jailed, Allegedly Stole $30K From Football League
- Palm Beach County Republican Party Embroiled in Libel Suit
- Delray Beach Man Slams EV Into Bush Near Military Trail
- This Woman Is Missing, If You See Her, Call Police
- Palm Beach International Airport Closed Due To Unattended Bag
- PREZZO BOCA RATON CITED FOR MULTIPLE HEALTH CODE VIOLATIONS
- Boca Raton Financial Advisor Owes $394,000 To Amex, Now Suing Him