BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com has learned from the Indian River Sheriff's Department that suspended Pompano Beach Firefighter and Boca Falls homeowner Craig Turturo is now being held in lieu of nearly $1.2-Million bond.
Tuturo faces 57 counts of trafficking and delivering controlled substances including Oxycodone, Morphine and Oxy Hydrocloride, in addition to charges of felony racketeering and money laundering.
He was arraigned Thursday in Indian River County.
Turturo was apparently taken into custody at the Pompano Beach Fire Department — where he works — while DEA Agents and a SWAT team from the Palm Beach County Sherrif's Office staged an assault on his Boca Falls home.
Turturo and fellow Pompano Beach Firefighter Lewis Stouffer are accused of running pain clinics that indiscriminantly distributed pain medicine. The arrests — with 12 others, including doctors and managers — were part of a statewide operation dubbed “Pill Street Blues.” Pain clinics have been called “pill mills” and are a target of Florida Governor Rick Scott.
Despite the sevrerity of the charges against Turturo, the Drug Enforcement Administration — which led the investigation — is being noticeably silent regarding its alleged case against Turturo. Several calls to the agency's regional public information officer have gone unreturned.
Additionally, there is no record of federal charges against Turturo in the federal “Pacer” system, despite the DEA's presence at his home.
You can read the complete list of charges filed in Indian River County by clicking here.
(Booking photo courtesy Indian River Sheriff's Office).
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Another Kings Point Resident Jailed, Alan Gershberg In Custody
- Glades Road Entrance, Exit Closed All Weekend For Turnpike
- Boca Raton Man Arrested Six Times, Now For DUI
- Parkland Man Shot, Killed By Police Identified
- Delray Marketplace Restaurant Shut By State, Mass Violations
- Area Teen Faces 11 Charges In Boca Raton, Bond Nearly $20K
- Mask Mandate Extended In Palm Beach County As COVID Spread Continues
- FLORIDA COVID: Infections Increase Again, Positivity Pulls Back Slightly
- Police Dispatcher Arrested For Misconduct