BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Maria Cole, the widow of jazz great Nat King Cole, has died of cancer at a hospice in Boca Raton. She was 89 years old.
This statement was posted by Natalie Cole, their daughter, a short time ago:
“I just want to thank everyone for their prayers & loving support. Mum has passed, gone to Glory, July 10th 2012. She will be next to Dad at Forest Lawn.” Maria Cole lost her battle with Cancer on Tuesday at Boca Raton, FL surrounded by family. She was 89 years old.
If you are unfamiliar with Maria Cole, here is the brief look at her life, courtesy wikipedia:
Maria Hawkins Cole (also known as Ellington following her first marriage )August 1, 1922 – July 10, 2012 was the widow of singer Nat King Cole and mother of singer Natalie Cole. She was also a jazz singer who worked most notably with Count Basie and Duke Ellington. She met Nat King Cole while they were both singing at the Zanzibar club.
Maria Hawkins Ellington was born in Boston and was the niece of Charlotte Hawkins Brown. Her father, Mingo Hawkins, was a letter carrier. Her mother, Carol, died while giving birth to her sister.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Police Arrest Man For Federal Highway Fatal
- INCREDIBLE: Murder Arrest In Cold Case From 1985, Elderly Woman Killed
- West Boca Medical Center’s COVID Protocol Just Might Kill Someone
- Murder, Kidnap Charges For Jailed Boynton Beach Man
- In-Person Graduation Ceremonies For Palm Beach County School District
- POLICE: Woman Threatens To Run Over Dog Walker In Boca Raton
- Jimmy Buffett To Stage Open Air Concerts In Delray Beach
- Boca Raton’s Victoria Boettcher Jailed On DUI, “Almost Hit House”
- Boca Raton Marriott, In Prom Controversy, Was Subject Of COVID Complaint