BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Boca Raton Police report that someone has called the Boca Raton 911 Communications Center 151 times since last week, and has hung up each and every time.
The cell phone has been traced back to Broward County, but one would ask — and we know you are asking — why would a 911 call in Broward, bouncing off of towers in Broward, end up being connected to Boca Raton 911?
We got in touch with Boca Raton Police Spokesman Mark Economou who tells us that it appears the phone is likely somewhere on the Broward County/Palm Beach County Line. It is “pinging” off of a tower in North Deerfield Beach, but is an older phone so not enhanced with the modern E911 chip that provides a near-exact location. It’s in a location where the tower can route the call either to Broward or Boca, and is — for whatever reason — routing it to Boca.
The phone is deactivated, so Boca Raton PD is working with every cell phone company to determine its last owner.
Economou says it is a “serious” situation, and while no police services in Boca Raton have been slowed or hampered as a result of this, 151 calls in a short period of time does have an impact on any dispatch center.
It is, of course, possible that this ‘old phone’ was given to a child who is just playing and has no idea that it is connecting to 911, the only number that a cell phone can dial without a valid account.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: 90 Percent Chance Two Systems Form Within Days
- Carly Richards, 20, Killed In Boynton Beach Crash
- Boca Raton Lawyer Who Threatened Us Disqualified From Case We Covered
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems Southeast Of Florida May Become Victor, Wanda
- POLICE: Woman Charged With Firebombing Area Temple
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon