Update: Traffic is relatively back to normal as of 6:45p.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — An afternoon suicide on the Southbound Florida Turnpike — in the area of Glades Road — has left traffic backed up all the way to Atlantic Avenue.
The Department of Transportation reports that while the Turnpike has been reopened after a several hour shutdown, the resulting delays are “severe.” The congestion could take hours to clear.
The driver apparently drove over the side of the Southwest 18th Street overpass in Boca, plummeting to the ground and landing on the turnpike.
If you are heading Southbound this afternoon or evening, visit the “live traffic” link in our menu at the upper right of this page.
If you have photos of the congestion, email them to us at news(at)bocanewsnow.com. Include your name and we’ll give you credit.
Update: Thanks to reader Stephen Butler for these great pics. Gordon Butler is shown holding his cell phone as hundreds of drivers realize they’re going nowhere for quite some time.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: COVID Positivity Soars To 16.4 Percent
- MASK MANDATES RETURN IN REGION
- B’Nai Torah Boca Raton Camp Closes, Kids COVID-19 Positive
- Broward Schools Approve Mask Mandate, Palm Beach County Next?
- Local Lobster Mini-Season Diver Dies
- Florida’s Unvaccinated Adults Are The Problem, 12K COVID Cases Monday
- Boca’s Fit Foodz, Quates Mexican Restaurant Both Warned By Health Inspector
- Miami Beach Assault Leads To Massive Haul Of Guns In Broward County
- Palm Beach County School Board Members Silent On Mask Mandates