BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — If you are making plans to be outside this evening in South Palm Beach County, you may want to make a backup plan: the National Weather Service has issued a Flood Watch for the area, and strong storms are in the forecast.
While it is sunny mid-day throughout much of the area, gusty storms with lightning are expected over the next several hours.
Here's the official run down:
…FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING…
THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTH FLORIDA.
.DAY ONE…TODAY AND TONIGHT
THUNDERSTORMS: SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON.
OCCASIONAL LIGHTNING STRIKES…GUSTY WINDS…AND LOCALLY HEAVY
RAINFALL WILL BE THE MAIN IMPACTS FROM THE STORMS.
FLOODING: GIVEN SATURATED SOILS FROM PREVIOUS HEAVY RAINS,
ISOLATED STREET FLOODING AND FLOODING OF LOW LYING AREAS WILL BE
LIKELY THROUGH TODAY WITH ANY HEAVIER SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS.
WIND: WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON WITHIN
THE STRONGEST THUNDERSTORMS.
.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN…MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY
A DRIER AIR MASS WILL FILTER INTO THE SOUTH FLORIDA AREA ON MONDAY
IN THE WAKE OF THE PASSING FRONT. DEEPER MOISTURE WILL THEN RETURN
BY MIDWEEK BRINGING ADDITIONAL CHANCES FOR SHOWERS AND
A RISK OF RIP CURRENTS WILL ALSO DEVELOP EARLY NEXT WEEK ACROSS
THE EAST COAST BEACHES AS EASTERLY WINDS RETURN DUE TO A RIDGE OF
HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING OFF THE MID ATLANTIC STATES.
.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT…
WIDESPREAD SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT ANTICIPATED, HOWEVER
INDIVIDUAL SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT HIGH WIND, HAIL AND
FLOODING TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST OFFICE IN
FOR MORE INFORMATION…VISIT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN
MIAMI WEBSITE AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/MIAMI.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Superintendent Tells Parents Nothing Will Change Second Semester
- WHERE IS SHE? Boca Police Looking For Marilyn Ruddy
- Jewish Family Services In Boca Donated 500 Meals For Thanksgiving
- Chick-fil-A To Open In West Boca Raton, Will Feed 100 Local Heroes Free For A Year
- FLORIDA: DeSantis Says Lockdowns Do Nothing, Social Distancing Not Needed, State Hits 999,319 Infections
- DESANTIS: VIRTUAL LEARNING TO CONTINUE SPRING SEMESTER
- Palm Beach Schools Return With 785 COVID-19 Cases Logged So Far
- Delray Beach Man Jailed On Child Abuse, Strangulation Charges
- COVID FLORIDA: State Adds Another 7179 Cases In One Day, Positivity Climbs