COCONUT CREEK, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Broward Sheriff’s Office tipped us a to a great story out of nearby Coconut Creek where an off-duty officers rescued a woman from a burning vehicle.
When someone flagged down Broward Sheriff’s Office Det. Frank Biro Sunday afternoon, he pulled over and saw a bloody, disoriented man standing on a sidewalk. Biro approached the man, who had an apparent head injury. A few feet away, his demolished and smoldering pickup was crushed against a tree in a wooded area.
As they waited for Coconut Creek Police and Fire Rescue, the man repeatedly asked Biro to get a pricey metal detector from the pickup, so Biro, who was off-duty and had been on his way home, braved the growing flames to see if he could grab the equipment. Just then, an off-duty BSO sergeant noticed the commotion and stopped to help. The engine of the pickup was fully engulfed, and as they approached the pickup, they found more than a metal detector.
An injured woman was in the front seat. She was conscious, but she wasn’t responding to Biro or Sgt. Adam Rubin, and she wasn’t getting out of the truck. The driver’s side door was too damaged to open, and the passenger door was blocked by palm trees. The two men tried to break through the spiny foliage and pry open the damaged door. As they worked, a Coconut Creek police sergeant stood by with a fire extinguisher.
Once they opened the door enough to pull the woman through, Biro put her over his shoulder and carried her out to safety. With Rubin, Biro and the woman out of the way, Police Sgt. Chris Markland was able to extinguish the flames. Coconut Creek/Margate Fire Rescue transported the couple to North Broward Health.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Woman Visiting From Saudi Arabia Charged With Shoplifting At Macy’s
- Sober Homes Operate In High End Delray Beach, Boca Raton Communities
- CVS Has COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments In South Florida Right Now
- Delray’s Carolyn Gulino Jailed On Enhanced DUI Charge
- Chevy Silverado Step Collapses, Driver Sues Schumacher Automotive
- Florida’s COVID Numbers Are Not Getting Better
- For Drew Abruzzese, A Fall From Food Network To Palm Beach County Jail
- Missing Boynton Woman Found Dead, Man Arrested
- Arrest In Seven Bridges: Audi Blocked By Mercedes Leads To Assault Charge