BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Boca Raton Police nabbed two alleged thieves after they apparently broke into several cars along Federal Highway — including one belonging to a security guard who happened to be sitting in the car as it happened.
It all went down in the early morning hours of Friday.
Boca Raton Police officer was on patrol in the area of 2700 North Federal Highway when he noticed a silver Mercedes enter Federal Highway from NE 28th Place without stopping at the stop sign. The officer stopped the vehicle and made contact with the driver Michael Iwaniszyn and the passenger Cameron Ahern. Iwaniszyn was overtly nervous, sweating profusely and taking short, shallow breaths. He told the officer he had just been running but was wearing long jean shorts and a v-neck t-shirt.
When the officer checked the suspects on his computer, he saw there was a pending call for a burglary that just occurred in the area where he initially saw Iwaniszyn. When the officer spoke with Iwaniszyn he admitted he and Ahern had broken into several unlocked vehicles including a car occupied by Brian Kelly, a security guard.
Officers on scene of the burglaries spoke with Kelly, who said he was watching the Golden Harbor residences when he saw Iwaniszyn and Ahern walking in the area and enter several cars. Kelly said he was sitting in his car when Iwaniszyn walked up to his car and opened the door, at which time he jumped out and ordered the two suspects to stop. Iwaniszyn and Ahern ran and Kelly lost sight of them and called police. Kelly identified Ahern and Iwaniszyn as the two who were breaking into cars.
Officers arrested Iwaniszyn and Ahern and charged them with attempted burglary and possession of burglary tools. Iwaniszyn was also issued several traffic citations.
(Photos: Top, Michael Iwaniszyn, 2/23/89, Boca Raton; and bottom: Cameron Ahern, 5/19/89, Boca Raton).
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FLORIDA COVID: State Adds 10,699 New Coronavirus Cases, 98 Deaths
- NO SCHOOL FRIDAY: Palm Beach County Public Schools Closed For Students
- Palm Beach Schools Added 84 COVID Cases Since Thanksgiving Break
- New Jersey Man Jailed, Allegedly Punched Boca Man On Federal Highway
- POLICE: Body Found In West Delray Beach Bushes, Investigation Underway
- DESANTIS: Florida Will Vaccinate Nursing Home Residents Before Healthcare Workers
- FROM BAD TO WORSE: Florida Logs 9,920 COVID Cases On Tuesday
- Facial Covering Order Extended In Palm Beach County
- Emotional Support Animals No Longer Considered “Service Animals,” DOT Institutes New Rules