BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The new GEICO ad is catchy. The GEICO pig in a convertible is stopped by police for a broken tail light. When he's asked for proof of insurance, the pig merely pulls out his iPhone and opens his GEICO app.
Major auto insurers are now offering apps that replace the tried and true paper insurance card that drivers have carried in their wallets — or in their glove boxes — since proof of insurance became a legal requirement in most states.
And now, police in Florida say it's no problem if you want to use an app to prove that you're covered.
Boca Raton Police Spokeswoman Ofc. Sandra Boonenberg says the department “does accept proof of insurance in digital format as long as all the information is present and accurate.”
Florida's statute that covers auto insurance only states that the vehicle's owner must have proof that the vehicle is insured. That proof is not required to be a piece of paper. In other words: an app is legally just fine.
But keep in mind that if your phone isn't working, if the battery dies, or if you suddenly lose internet connectivity, that really cool app could end up landing you a ticket for failure to show proof of insurance. While that's traditionally easy to clear with a trip to the court house or police department, it may not be a bad idea to keep a paper copy in your glovebox, just in case.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- GLADES ROAD CLOSES TONIGHT, WILL REMAIN CLOSED ALL WEEKEND LONG
- Your Escort Company May Have Just Been Busted By The Cops
- UBER SUED AFTER DELRAY BEACH CRASH
- OFFICIAL: Boca Raton Leaders Sworn-In During Organizational Meeting
- Homicide, Hit And Run Charges Filed Against Boca Raton Man
- TRAFFIC ALERT: GLADES ROAD TO COMPLETELY CLOSE AT I-95 ALL WEEKEND LONG
- Palm Beach County Lawyer Nabbed While Downloading Child Pornography
- MURDER IN WEST DELRAY BEACH, POLICE INVESTIGATING
- KINGS POINT DELRAY: More Arrests, More Often As Another Is Locked Up