BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Stories about teachers reaching into their own pockets to pay for school supplies is nothing new. But rarely do we hear stories of teachers raising nearly $100,000 to pay for educational necessities — especially in wealthy communities like Boca.
But that's exactly what is happening.
According to Palm Beach County District Schools:
Taylor Franzi and Lisa O’Brien are among 107 Palm Beach County public school teachers who have helped raise money totaling more than $86,000 to fund 180 classroom projects through DonorsChoose.org in the past 12 months.
Taylor Franzi, a fifth grade teacher at Boca Raton Elementary School, has raised money to fund “Reading Nook for Science” and “iPads for Scientific Research!”, enabling her students to study science independently or with a partner. To raise the money, she posted a request on DonorsChoose.org, a nonprofit organization that connects donors with public school teachers who need classroom materials.
Also, Boca Raton Elementary first grade teacher Lisa O’Brien received donations for “Technology!” which provides students with a computer center and the ability to access Web sites and applications to learn essential skills.
“The iPads open up the world of technology to the children,” Ms. Franzi said. “They are able to use the iPads to do their research, and I have found applications that correlate with the content I teach in class to give students real-life visuals and videos of what they are learning. Using the iPads for science helps the students to step into the shoes of a scientist through virtual laboratory applications.”
The teachers gain the donations by posting classroom projects needing funding on the DonorsChoose.org Web site. Full-time public school teachers, nurses and guidance counselors are able to participate.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens
- FLORIDA COVID DISASTER: CDC Reveals 12K New Cases Wednesday, 60K In Week
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Drifting, Formation Chance Increases
- Boynton Beach Police To Shut Major Road For Investigation