BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A man is in custody tonight after allegedly stealing a cell phone during a violent struggle with a 12-year-old girl at Boca Raton's Town Center Mall. The suspect was taken into custody after he tried to flee into a canal near the mall.
It all happened near the Nordstrom “E-Bar” just outside the store in the large pavilion area. According to police:
The victim was at the Nordstrom E-Bar with her family when she heard her 12 year old daughter scream. Her daughter had her hand on their stroller, when a male tried to pull it from her grasp. When the daughter refused to let go of the stroller the suspect tried to push her hands away then grabbed an iPhone that was sitting on the stroller and ran. The victim’s husband chased the suspect while another patron called police.
Police were on scene almost immediately and made contact with the victim’s husband, several bystanders, and the suspect at a nearby canal. The suspect, identified as Tyler Korman, had jumped into the water in an attempt to elude capture, but soon discovered the water was too deep and he was not a strong swimmer. Korman got out of the water and surrendered to police.
The phone was recovered and the victim identified Korman as the person who stole her phone. Officers arrested Korman and when they searched him, they found two syringes and a metal spoon. Korman was charged with robbery by sudden snatching, grand theft, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Marriott Not Commenting On COVID Prom At Boca Center
- Murder-Suicide At Local Hampton Inn, Child Found Asleep, Body In Car On I-95
- Did A Boca High School Parent Stage A Prom, Violating COVID Rules?
- Another Kings Point Resident Jailed, This Time For Battery
- FLORIDA: COVID ER Visits Rising, Local ICU Count Up, Positivity Slightly Down
- Leaders Of “Extreme Jewish Sect” Charged With Child Exploitation
- SAFETY ALERT: Aptive Pest Control Allegedly Trespassing In Area Communities
- Former Boca Raton Chief Dan Alexander Named Chief Of Palm Beach County School Police
- DEVELOPING: Palm Beach Schools Distance Learning System Failing