BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A man is in custody tonight after allegedly stealing a cell phone during a violent struggle with a 12-year-old girl at Boca Raton's Town Center Mall. The suspect was taken into custody after he tried to flee into a canal near the mall.
It all happened near the Nordstrom “E-Bar” just outside the store in the large pavilion area. According to police:
The victim was at the Nordstrom E-Bar with her family when she heard her 12 year old daughter scream. Her daughter had her hand on their stroller, when a male tried to pull it from her grasp. When the daughter refused to let go of the stroller the suspect tried to push her hands away then grabbed an iPhone that was sitting on the stroller and ran. The victim’s husband chased the suspect while another patron called police.
Police were on scene almost immediately and made contact with the victim’s husband, several bystanders, and the suspect at a nearby canal. The suspect, identified as Tyler Korman, had jumped into the water in an attempt to elude capture, but soon discovered the water was too deep and he was not a strong swimmer. Korman got out of the water and surrendered to police.
The phone was recovered and the victim identified Korman as the person who stole her phone. Officers arrested Korman and when they searched him, they found two syringes and a metal spoon. Korman was charged with robbery by sudden snatching, grand theft, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Woman Arrested For DUI IN Mizner Country Club Delray Beach
- New School Next Year For Your Palm Beach County High School Student?
- Have You Seen Anthony? He Is Missing From North Broward County
- Boca Raton YMCA Situation Monday Was Not Criminal
- I-95 Reopens In Broward County After 18-Hour Closure
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Forming In Atlantic…In December!
- Palm Beach County School District Set To Expel Six Students
- CRANE COLLAPSES ON I-95, SHUTTING DOWN INTERSTATE, MASSIVE DELAYS
- Amex Sues Palm Beach County Man Over $272K Unpaid Bill