BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A man is in custody tonight after allegedly stealing a cell phone during a violent struggle with a 12-year-old girl at Boca Raton's Town Center Mall. The suspect was taken into custody after he tried to flee into a canal near the mall.
It all happened near the Nordstrom “E-Bar” just outside the store in the large pavilion area. According to police:
The victim was at the Nordstrom E-Bar with her family when she heard her 12 year old daughter scream. Her daughter had her hand on their stroller, when a male tried to pull it from her grasp. When the daughter refused to let go of the stroller the suspect tried to push her hands away then grabbed an iPhone that was sitting on the stroller and ran. The victim’s husband chased the suspect while another patron called police.
Police were on scene almost immediately and made contact with the victim’s husband, several bystanders, and the suspect at a nearby canal. The suspect, identified as Tyler Korman, had jumped into the water in an attempt to elude capture, but soon discovered the water was too deep and he was not a strong swimmer. Korman got out of the water and surrendered to police.
The phone was recovered and the victim identified Korman as the person who stole her phone. Officers arrested Korman and when they searched him, they found two syringes and a metal spoon. Korman was charged with robbery by sudden snatching, grand theft, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Superintendent Tells Parents Nothing Will Change Second Semester
- WHERE IS SHE? Boca Police Looking For Marilyn Ruddy
- Jewish Family Services In Boca Donated 500 Meals For Thanksgiving
- Chick-fil-A To Open In West Boca Raton, Will Feed 100 Local Heroes Free For A Year
- FLORIDA: DeSantis Says Lockdowns Do Nothing, Social Distancing Not Needed, State Hits 999,319 Infections
- DESANTIS: VIRTUAL LEARNING TO CONTINUE SPRING SEMESTER
- Palm Beach Schools Return With 785 COVID-19 Cases Logged So Far
- Delray Beach Man Jailed On Child Abuse, Strangulation Charges
- COVID FLORIDA: State Adds Another 7179 Cases In One Day, Positivity Climbs