BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Call it a sign of the times, call it a reaction to financial stress, call it a bizarre, strange coincidence. But in first four months of 2013, the City of Boca Raton has recorded four deaths as the result of violent crime, three are recorded as homicides.
The Uniform Crime Report — going back to 2008 — reports no murders in 2011 and 2012, with one in 2010, 2 in 2009 and one in 2008.
The year 2013 started with the murder of Rafael Rodriguez at Josephine’s Restaurant on Federal Highway. The January 4th murder was allegedly carried out by three men from Broward County as they robbed the restaurant at gunpoint. Boca Police rapidly found and arrested the men who remain in custody.
Late last month, Paul Charles allegedly stabbed his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend over a child custody issue. Charles entered the ex-girlfriend’s home in the 5300 block of NW 53rd Street and violently attacked. The boyfriend — Matthew Snow — died earlier this week. Police say Paul Charles, 24, of Lantana confessed to the crime and is in the Palm Beach County Jail.
Yesterday, former Boca Raton News General Manager Scott Edgerton, 63, killed his wife, Sharon Bellingham, 56, and then himself in the offices of CBIZ Goldstein Lewin on Military Trail in Boca Raton. Bellingham worked in the office. Edgerton served as the director of the Faulk Center for Counseling. Police say he entered the office, shot and killed Bellingham, then turned the gun on himself. They leave behind two children — one in an area high school, the second in college.
(BocaNewsNow.com has no relationship to the “Boca Raton News” which has been closed for several years).
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Police Jail Man For Carjacking, Kidnapping
- It’s HOA Budget Time, Let Us Know If Anything Is Questionable, Illegal, Scandalous
- DRAMA: iPIC Boca Raton Sued For Astronomical Unpaid Rent Bill
- HOSPITAL FEARS: Now 292 Hospitalized In Palm Beach County For COVID, Florida Availability Drops
- FLORIDA OFFICIALLY LOGS ONE MILLION COVID CASES AS GOVERNOR SAYS MASKS DON’T WORK
- Gang Members Arrested, Firearms And Heroin Seized In Joint Broward, Boca Raton, Federal Operation
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: CARES Act Application Deadline Extended
- Florida Receives Additional $28M In Cares Act Funding, Help For Unemployed
- MASSIVE JUMP: Palm Beach County Schools Now Report 829 COVID-19 Cases