BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — We have been following no fewer than 20 cases over the past several weeks of Boca-area tax filers filing their returns online, only to receive notification from the IRS that their social security number was already used to file a return.
This indicates fraud or identity theft.
The majority of these cases seem to involve residents of area retirement communities — although there is no suggestion that anyone working in these communities is to blame. Boca Raton is not isolated. These cases are being reported nationwide.
If you file your return only to learn that the IRS believes your return already has been filed, experts suggest the following:
1. Immediately call the IRS to inquire what was filed and when. The West Palm Beach office can be reached at (561) 616-2002 . This isn’t like calling the IRS back in the 80s and 90s. Someone may actually answer the phone in the same hour that you call. (We’re being sarcastic. IRS customer service is very good now).
2. Spend a few dollars and sign up for credit monitoring, or at the very least, obtain a copy of your credit report. It’s free once a year at http://www.AnnualCreditReport.com.
3. File an information report with your police department. In Boca, call 561-338-1234. In Palm Beach County, call PBSO at 561-558-2700.
4. Check your credit card and bank account statements to see if there is any unusual activity. If there is, contact the bank or card issuer immediately.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Firefighters Battle Elevator Blaze
- Palm Beach County ICU’s Packed, COVID Count Rising
- OUTRAGEOUS AGENTS: Tinder Leads To Battery Charge For Boca Realtor
- HORRIBLE: FLORIDA PASSES 25,000 DEATHS AS DESANTIS PROMOTES EMPLOYMENT
- Mizner Country Club GM Says Club Not Involved In Drug Sales
- Two In West Boca Home Jailed On Drug Charges
- POLICE: No, This Cat Wasn’t Shot In The Face And Dumped In Boca Raton
- GETTING WORSE: South Palm Beach County ICUs Full, COVID Count Up
- PUBLIX: COVID Vaccine Appointment Site Open Again