BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Allergies — and specifically, food allergies — are a very serious problem in any institutional environment. The Palm Beach County School district is launching a week dedicated to the issue, and it starts on Monday.
Food allergies affect nearly 250,000 students in Florida and researchers estimate that up to 15 million Americans have food allergies with nearly 6 million being children. To increase awareness and education regarding this disease, Senator Joe Negron, District 32, has issued a Proclamation in recognition of Food Allergy Awareness Week, May 12th – 18th.
Every 3 minutes, a food allergy reaction sends someone to the emergency department – that is more than 200,000 emergency department visits per year. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported that food allergies result in more than 300,000 ambulatory-care visits a year among children under the age of 18. Food allergy is the leading cause of anaphylaxis outside the hospital setting.
There is no cure for food allergies. Strict avoidance of food allergens and early recognition and management of allergic reactions to food are important measures to prevent serious health consequences. Once you have been diagnosed with a food allergy, talk to your doctor about how allergic reactions should be treated. Mild to moderate symptoms are often treated with antihistamines and oral or topical steroids.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- UPDATE: Boca Raton Police Respond To Shooting But Still Know Nothing
- HURRICANE CENTER: Wave Watching Continues, Another Expected To Form
- Delray Beach Father And Son Charged In Boynton Shooting, Witness Threat
- BREAKING: Shots Fired In Boca Raton
- Health Inspector Cites Local McDonald’s For Insects, Garbage
- Boca Raton Woman Pulls Gun On Former Israeli Defense Force Soldier
- TURNPIKE CRASH UPDATE: Victim Of Fender Bender Killed When Hit Near Glades Road
- Generator Company Reviews: Tell Us About Your Experience In Palm Beach County
- United Way Of Palm Beach County Raises $433K For Non-Profit Workers