BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Former WPTV-TV Channel 5 weather guy Rob Lopicola remains in the Palm Beach County jail nearly a year after his arrest on several child sex charges. The one time staple of South Florida television continues to be unable to post $130,000 bond.
Arrestees typically must post ten percent — in this case $13,000 — if an agreement is reached with a bondsman.
As we first reported following his July 9th arrest:
Lopicola is charged with “lewd or lascivious battery,” “lewd or lascivious conduct,” “computer pornography and child exploitation,” and “unlawful sexual activity with a minor.”
Police allege that he engaged in unlawful sexual contact with minors — at least two young men who were 15 and 17 at the time. It is also alleged that Lopicola, 42, performed oral sex on a 15 year old male in Boca Raton.
You can read the graphic text messages that prosecutors claim he sent, as well as the affidavit of probable cause that led to his arrest. U.S. Marshals were involved with his arrest — the alleged text messages were sent over state lines.
Here’s an excerpt:
01/09/11 at 08:29:02 – I realy like u! we have a big age difference, im a lot older, cud b yor dad. U sure u want an older boyfriend and a bigger muscular guy too?
01/09/11 at 08:31:54 – do u know how old I am?
Rob Lopicola’s trial is now set for June 24th — just shy of the one year mark from when he was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals. There has been no change or reduction in the charges against him. Direct from the Palm Beach County inmate record center:
|Booking Number: 2012028810||Booking Date/Time: 07/09/2012 19:56|
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FLORIDA COVID: State Adds 10,699 New Coronavirus Cases, 98 Deaths
- NO SCHOOL FRIDAY: Palm Beach County Public Schools Closed For Students
- Palm Beach Schools Added 84 COVID Cases Since Thanksgiving Break
- New Jersey Man Jailed, Allegedly Punched Boca Man On Federal Highway
- POLICE: Body Found In West Delray Beach Bushes, Investigation Underway
- DESANTIS: Florida Will Vaccinate Nursing Home Residents Before Healthcare Workers
- FROM BAD TO WORSE: Florida Logs 9,920 COVID Cases On Tuesday
- Facial Covering Order Extended In Palm Beach County
- Emotional Support Animals No Longer Considered “Service Animals,” DOT Institutes New Rules