BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — As the new school years gets underway in just a few weeks, the Palm Beach County School District is advising parents and caregivers of the latest rules and requirements for the free and reduced lunch program:
Household size and income criteria will be used to determine eligibility. Children from families whose income is at or below the levels shown may be eligible for Free or Reduced Price Meals. An application cannot be approved unless it contains complete eligibility information. Once approved, meal benefits are good for an entire school year. You need not notify the organization of changes in income and household size.
Click here to apply for Free and Reduced Meal Benefits and allow 10 days for processing time. Additional hard copies are available at the principal’s office in each school. Families need to complete one application per household, even if the siblings attend different Palm Beach County schools. The information provided on the application will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility and may be verified at any time during the school year. Applications may be submitted at any time during the year.
Households that receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) are required to list on the application only the child’s name, SNAP / TANF case number, and signature of adult household member.
Foster children will receive free benefits regardless of the child’s personal income or the income of the household. If the foster family chooses to apply and the foster family is not eligible for free or reduced price meals, it does not prevent a foster child from receiving free meal benefits.
Household with children who are considered migrants, homeless, or runaway should contact the district liaison, Anax Pompilus at 561-434-8852.
For the purpose of determining household size, deployed service members are considered a part of the household. Families should include the names of the deployed service members on their application. Report only that portion of the deployed service member’s income made available to them or on their behalf to the family. Additionally, a housing allowance that is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative is not to be included as income.
All other households must provide the following information listed on the application:
- Total household income listed by amount received and type of income and how often the income is received(wages, child support, etc.) received by each household member;
- Names of all household members;
- Signature of an adult household member certifying the information provided is correct; and
- Four last digits of Social Security number of the adult signing the application or check the box for “N SSN” for this household member if he or she does not have a social security number.
If a household member becomes unemployed or if the household size changes, the school should be contacted. Children of parents or guardians who become unemployed should also contact the school. Such changes may make the student eligible for reduced price or free meals if the household income falls at or below the levels shown below. Under the provisions of the Free and Reduced Price meal policy Superintendent will review applications and determine eligibility. If a parent or guardian is dissatisfied with the ruling of the official, he or she may wish to discuss the decision with the determining official on an informal basis. If the parent wishes to make a formal appeal, he or she may make a request either orally or in writing to Michael Burke, Chief Operating Officer, 3340 Forest Hill Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33406. (561) 434-8510
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Broward Crash Backs Up Traffic Into Boca Raton
- Rocco’s Tacos Delray Beach Ordered Closed By Health Inspector
- SECURITY ALERT: Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport Evacuated
- HAMMER TIME: Boca Raton Woman Allegedly Hits Husband On Head With Hammer
- Body Found On Side Of Palm Beach County Road, FHP Asks For Tips
- Body Found In North Broward Burning Car
- Boomers Boca Raton Sued Again, Another Go-Kart Claim
- KINGS POINT ARREST: Man Allegedly Burglarizes Neighbor, Is Hit With Baseball Bat
- NEED A JOB? Palm Beach County School District Sets Major Hiring Event