BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — An arrest had been made in Colombia for a 2008 Boca Raton murder. According to Boca Police:
On Wednesday, August 28, Edwin Carlos Bonell Bernal (aka Edwin Andes Zaragoza) was transported to the United States and arrived at Miami International Airport from Colombia. After a lengthy and painstaking investigation, Boca Raton Police detectives initially identified Edwin Zaragoza and Oscar Gonzalez Londono as participants in the robbery that resulted in the death of Wilmar Andrews Sierra Perez.
The homicide happened on May 7, 2008 at about 12:35 in the afternoon at 21310 Saint Andrews Boulevard. Two jewelry couriers, Leon Rozio and Timotea Garcia, who were carrying close to $150,000 in jewelry, were robbed in the parking lot of St. Moritz. Rozio shot and killed the suspect (Wilmar Andres Sierra Perez) who was driving the getaway car.
In October 2008, detectives requested an arrest warrant for Edwin Zaragoza with charges of felony murder, robbery with a weapon and burglary. In December 2008, Gonzalez Londono was located in Houston on unrelated charges. Detectives interviewed him and after he confessed to his involvement in the murder, they filed charges for felony murder and robbery with a weapon. In January 2009, Gonzalez Londono was extradited from Houston to Palm Beach County. In October 2010, Gonzalez Londono pled guilty and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
In April 2010, detectives determined Zaragoza’s true identity through the National Colombian Identification Registry as Edwin Carlos Bonell Bernal. After almost five years on the run, Bonell Bernal will finally face the charges of felony murder, robbery with a weapon and burglary.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Johnson and Johnson Shots Being Canceled Throughout Area
- Flights Resume After Bomb Scare, Major Weather Delays At Fort Lauderdale Airport
- Roaches Found In Boca Raton Yogurt Shop, State Shuts It Down
- Real Estate Agent Susan Caljean Jailed On DUI Charge
- GETTING WORSE: Florida COVID Positivity Rate Highest In A Month
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL COUNT JUMPS: More Than 3000 Hospitalized For COVID
- Is The Boca Raton Police Department Doing Enough To Prevent Traffic Deaths, Injuries?
- Crowds, Chaos At Fort Lauderdale Airport Monday Morning
- Golf Instructor Drake Kelso Jailed On DUI Charge, Said Gun Was In Car