BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The trial of former WPTV-TV5 weathercaster Rob Lopicola is on the books for October 21st, more than 15 months after he was taken into custody near his Wilton Manors apartment.
Lopicola is charged with unlawful sexual activity with a minor, lewd or lascivious battery, lewd or lascivious conduct, and computer pornography and child exploitation.
Prosecutors allege that Lopicola took part in sexual acts with two young men who were 15 and 17 at the time. Prosecutors also say that Lopicola performed oral sex on a 15 year old male — in Boca Raton — while he was 42.
U.S. Marshals took part in Lopicola’s arrest on July 9th, 2012 — in part because he allegedly sent explicit text messages to a minor over state lines.
Here’s an excerpt:
01/09/11 at 08:29:02 – I realy like u! we have a big age difference, im a lot older, cud b yor dad. U sure u want an older boyfriend and a bigger muscular guy too?
01/09/11 at 08:31:54 – do u know how old I am?
You can read all of the graphic text messages here.
Police reports suggest that the television weatherman was under investigation when he suddenly left WPTV in 2006 — a rare resignation in the world of broadcast journalism.
Lopicola launched his own personal training business, but was reportedly working as a bartender at the time of his arrest. He has been unable to post $130,000 bond so has remained in the Palm Beach County jail since his arrest.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: New Phase 3 Orders, Clarifications, Sheriff Ordered To Enforce
- Federal Judge Slaps Delray’s Seven Bridges, Litigants LaGrasso and Tannenholz
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Reckless Endangerment Charges For Non-Mask Wearers?
- South Florida Attorney Charged By Feds For Wire, Securities Fraud
- COVID SURGE FLORIDA: 3259 New Cases, 106 New Deaths, Positivity Heading Up
- BIG JUMP: Now 22 COVID Infections In Palm Beach County Schools
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Aggravated Assault With Deadly Weapon Charge
- COVID-19: Boca, Delray Restaurant Horror Stories As CDC Says Eating Inside Is Bad Idea
- COVID-19 Reported In Boca Middle, Spanish River High, West Boca High