BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The fatal accident Saturday night on Palmetto Park Road was apparently caused — at least in part — by a driver who the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office listed in a report as being possibly being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Mark Douglas Schneider, 22, of Savona Court in Boca was allegedly under the influence of either drugs or alcohol when accident investigators say he was driving westbound on Palmetto Park Road — in the inside lane — approaching Toledo Road around 11pm Saturday.
According to police: “the vehicle in front of (Schneider) stopped for a red light. (Schneider) attempted to move into the center lane and pass, but the left front of (his 2010 Hyundai Genesis) impacted the rear of a 2002 Nissan in front of him, which he struck in a side-swipe manner. (Schneider) then went through the intersection.
Investigators say that Schneider then impacted a third vehicle — another 2010 Hyundai — driven by Carol Velasco, 52, of Fort Lauderdale.
“The front of (Schneider’s car) violently impacted the rear of (Valesco’s) vehicle. The left side of (Velasco’s) vehicle impacted with a tree and came to final rest. (Schneider’s car) went back onto the roadway, crossed all three lanes of traffic, and came to rest in an outside lane of Palmetto Park Road, facing in a northeast direction.”
Velasco was rushed to Delray Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.
Schneider sustained minor injuries. Charges are listed as “pending” as the investigation continues.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Tropical Depression Could Form Within Day
- FLORIDA COVID: More Than 14K Cases Recorded On Friday, 148 Deaths
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Child Neglect, Weapon Charge
- Get Paid To Get A COVID Shot In Boca Raton
- Delray Beach Police Officer Arrested
- IT’S ALIVE: Hurricane Hunter Finds Circulation In System Near Florida
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form