BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — In what is becoming a yearly event, Florida Atlantic University is going back in time a bit and offering free vinyl records. It’s all part of the school’s somewhat amazing “recorded sound archive” program.
Florida Atlantic University’s Recorded Sound Archives, which preserves and digitizes rare and historic recordings, will host its third annual giveaway of excess vinyl records from Monday, Jan. 6 through Friday, Jan. 10, 2014, and again from Monday, Jan. 27 through Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the fifth floor of the Wimberly Library, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus.
The giveaway, which is free and open to the FAU community as well as the general public, features thousands of LPs and 45 rpm vinyl discs that span from the 1940s to the 1990s and features every genre, including pop, Latin, jazz, classical, opera and orchestra music. Cassette tapes and CDs also are available.
Created in 2010 to collect, organize and protect access to digitized copies of vintage audio recordings, the RSA houses more than 150,000 jazz, Judaic and vintage recordings, making FAU Libraries one of the top 20 libraries in the nation for sound recordings.
“The RSA receives 10,000 records every year from people all over the county who want to be part of our preservation effort,” said Maxine Schackman, the RSA’s director. “Many of these recordings are either duplicates or outside the range of our collection criteria. These excess recordings pile up over time, so each year we give the community a chance to browse through them and take what they want.”
Guidelines for donating recordings and printing a mailing label for shipping can be found atfaujsa.fau.edu/jsa/send_records2.php. For more information, contact Schackman at 561-297-0080 orSoundArchives@fau.edu.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY POSITIVITY RATE JUMPS, HOSPITALIZATIONS SURGE
- KINSA: Palm Beach County Has Never Been So Dangerous For COVID-19
- Teachers: No Organized Walkout Planned Over Masking Battle
- FLORIDA SETS RECORD: 21,683 COVID CASES RECORDED ON FRIDAY
- Delray Beach Man Allegedly Held Knife To Wife, False Imprisonment Charge
- Heading To Airport? Yet Again, Fort Lauderdale Parking Is Packed
- EXCEPTIONALLY BAD: Florida Department Health COVID Report Is Dire
- Publix Mask Mandate Returns, Associates For Now, Customer Decision Pending
- CDC: PALM BEACH COUNTY POSITIVITY NOW 18 PERCENT