BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — In what is becoming a yearly event, Florida Atlantic University is going back in time a bit and offering free vinyl records. It’s all part of the school’s somewhat amazing “recorded sound archive” program.
Florida Atlantic University’s Recorded Sound Archives, which preserves and digitizes rare and historic recordings, will host its third annual giveaway of excess vinyl records from Monday, Jan. 6 through Friday, Jan. 10, 2014, and again from Monday, Jan. 27 through Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the fifth floor of the Wimberly Library, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus.
The giveaway, which is free and open to the FAU community as well as the general public, features thousands of LPs and 45 rpm vinyl discs that span from the 1940s to the 1990s and features every genre, including pop, Latin, jazz, classical, opera and orchestra music. Cassette tapes and CDs also are available.
Created in 2010 to collect, organize and protect access to digitized copies of vintage audio recordings, the RSA houses more than 150,000 jazz, Judaic and vintage recordings, making FAU Libraries one of the top 20 libraries in the nation for sound recordings.
“The RSA receives 10,000 records every year from people all over the county who want to be part of our preservation effort,” said Maxine Schackman, the RSA’s director. “Many of these recordings are either duplicates or outside the range of our collection criteria. These excess recordings pile up over time, so each year we give the community a chance to browse through them and take what they want.”
Guidelines for donating recordings and printing a mailing label for shipping can be found atfaujsa.fau.edu/jsa/send_records2.php. For more information, contact Schackman at 561-297-0080 orSoundArchives@fau.edu.
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO BOCANEWSNOW.COM
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Teen With Autism Spits In Woodfield Gym, Woman Bullied For Asking Him To Stop
- COVID FLORIDA: State Passes 16,000 Deaths As Palm Beach County Sees Flu-Like Symptom ER Visits Grow
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression 27 Forms In Atlantic
- TIME TO VOTE: Early Voting Locations Now Open In Palm Beach County
- Thanksgiving Could Be “Devastating” To South Palm Beach County
- FAU Reports 235 Students, Faculty Positive For COVID-19
- Tropical Depression Expected Off Florida’s Coast By Tuesday
- Early Voting Starts Monday In Palm Beach County
- POLICE: Mara Mena Missing, Last Seen In West Boca Raton