BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation (www.giftoflife.org) will hold its Fourth Annual Walk for Life on Sunday, February 9, 2014 at Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton. The event will take place from 8 am until 12 pm.
Walk for Life (www.giftoflife.org/walkforlife) is $25 for advanced registration, and $30 the day of the event. Students can participate for just $10. This is a Certified 5K Race and runners and walkers at all levels are encouraged to participate in this family friendly event.
A highly unique aspect of this event includes the introduction – for the very first time – of a donor and a bone marrow transplant recipient. Over a year ago, the recipient, a 59 year old woman diagnosed with leukemia underwent a blood stem cell transplant She was matched with her donor , a 21-year old male who she has never met. Once the donor was told by Gift of Life that he was a perfect match for the recipient, he immediately underwent the bone marrow donation process to help save her life.
“This is one of the most powerful moments some people may experience in their lifetime,” said Marti Freund, Walk for Life Coordinator. “This annual walk is a critical fundraising initiative for Gift of Life, but the best part is getting to witness such a beautifully emotional scene when the donor and the recipient meet face-to-face for the first time.”
Walk for Life is the only 5k event in South Florida that is solely dedicated to raising awareness for bone marrow and blood stem cell transplants. Gift of Life uses funds raised at the Walk for Life to add new donors to the worldwide bone marrow registry. Registering just one volunteer donor through a simple swab process costs $60. Every year, 100 percent of all net proceeds raised at the Walk are used to add new donor to the worldwide bone marrow registry. The 2014 fundraising goal is $80,000. Sponsorships are also available.
Males and females in good health between the ages of 18 and 60 are eligible to be screened and join the worldwide registry for patients in need. A simple swab from the inside of your cheek is all it takes to determine if you are a match.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Woman Pepper Sprays Husband As He Disciplines Daughter
- Mizner Park Tenants Sued For Unpaid Rent, Now Planet Blue Faces Eviction
- Police Seek Deerfield Beach Man Wanted For Manslaughter
- Delray Beach Woman Flees Police After Crash, Then Crashes Into Dumpster and Fire Hydrant
- REAL ESTATE WARNING: FAU Professor Says U.S. Housing Market Peaking, South Florida Overvalued
- FLORIDA COVID: State Adds 10,699 New Coronavirus Cases, 98 Deaths
- NO SCHOOL FRIDAY: Palm Beach County Public Schools Closed For Students
- Palm Beach Schools Added 84 COVID Cases Since Thanksgiving Break
- New Jersey Man Jailed, Allegedly Punched Boca Man On Federal Highway