BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The asteroid passing near earth tonight won’t quite be close enough to kill us all, but will be close enough to provide quite a show if you’re looking at the right place at the right time. The right place is FAU’s observatory, and the right time is 8pm.
Monday, January 26, 2015 will be the closest that a mountain-sized asteroid 2004 BL86 at 3 lunar-distances away will pass by Earth. It will be the closest passing of any known space rock this large until asteroid 1999 AN10 passes the Earth in 2027. Asteroids make the news either by being especially close to the earth or especially large. This one is going to miss us tonight, but will be bright enough to be viewed by a telescope as it moves among the stars.
As such the Florida Atlantic University Observatory will be open today for viewing the asteroid. Viewing conditions should decently start around 8 p.m. So please come by FAU’s Observatory located on 777 Glades Road, Building 43, 4th floor, Room SE-434 on the Boca Raton campus. For more information on FAU’s Observatory, visit http://www.physics.fau.edu/observatory/about_ob.html or call 561-297-STAR.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark. BocaRudeton™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. Sirens™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “You hear sirens, we know where they went,”™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “Don’t Want To Be Seen Here? Don’t Be Rude Here!™” is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 866-4-FL-NEWS. Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton’s Alisa Catoggio Pleads Guilty To $40M Federal Kickback Scheme
- COPS ON SCENE: Double Shooting South Of Boca Raton
- SMELL SMOKE? Don’t Worry About It, There’s A Controlled Burn
- ALLIGATOR ALLEY SHOOTING: Police Seeks Suspect, Ask Public For Tips
- ALERT: Palm Beach County COVID Risk Spikes
- EXTREMELY DRUNK: Cops Say Boca Raton Man Three Times Limit
- AT LEAST SIX SEX OFFENDERS LIVE IN KINGS POINT DELRAY BEACH
- Moses Sues Walmart, Claims Parking Lot More Dangerous Than Red Sea
- Sentencing For Female Fraudster, Seven Bridges Homeowner, Delayed