BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Boca Raton Regional Hospital’s Emergency Department has been so busy this week that patients have been placed on beds in hallways while others have waited for hours in the waiting room to be seen.
The hospital itself has been so busy that doctors throughout the region have been informed that no “direct admits” were permitted — meaning doctors could not admit patients to the hospital without first going through the emergency department.
While not optimal, hospital spokesman Thomas Chakurda told BocaNewsNow.com via email that the hospital is so busy because the hospital is no longer thought of a small community facility.
“We are in the height of season and more significantly, people in the region are turning to us for care in ever-increasing numbers,” wrote Chakurda. “We are just 8 months into our fiscal year but have already seen admissions rise by about 1000 over the corresponding time frame last year. That’s a ten percent increase in utilization. In our new ED (emergency department), we have grown from 35,000 visits a year to 50,000 in the past several years, all while seeing patient satisfaction in the 98-99 percentiles nationally.”
ER patients are always triaged, meaning true emergencies are seen immediately. But for patients using the ER for routine care, the wait may be lengthy.
“There are times when we do not have beds available immediately for admits through the ED,” said Chakurda. “These patients are maintained and cared for in an area until a bed opens. We have put into place protocols to expedite the process, but again, the significant increase in utilization we are seeing can tax the system at times.”
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District
- HURRICANE CENTER MONDAY: Peter, Rose And Another System East Of Florida
- TROPICAL STORM ROSE FORMS, JOINS PETER, TWO MORE BEING WATCHED
- FLORIDA: COVID Continues To Kill Nearly 200 A Day In Hospitals
- Anti-Masking Parent Suing Palm Beach Schools Was Arrested For Child Abuse