BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County Commission has officially adopted an ordinance that bans panhandling in unincorporated Palm Beach County intersections. This includes West Boca Raton, which — as most folks realize — isn’t really a part of Boca Raton.
Yes, the days of driving by folks holding signs declaring, “we’ve lost everything,” “we have nothing,” “I’ve been dying from cancer for the past 12 years,” and “any little bit helps,” all while wearing brand new Nike Airs and designer jeans, will soon be over.
From the county commission:
adopted an ordinance prohibiting solicitation on county and state roads in unincorporated Palm Beach County. The ban pertains to anyone standing in the street or median soliciting for business and charitable contributions, distributing materials or goods, and displaying information. Sidewalks and road shoulders are exempt. Prohibited activities include but are not limited to panhandling, collection of donations for or by nonprofit organizations or the sale or distribution of merchandise or publications.
Unclear at this point how PBSO intends to enforce the ordinance, but soon, major intersections in West Boca — including Palmetto Park, Glades and 441 — should look a little less like any bridge under the Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia.
The City of Boca Raton already bans panhandling.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- NOT CLAUDETTE YET: Hurricane Center Says Storm Growing, But Not Named Yet
- Bonefish Grill Sued After Boca Raton Slip and Fall
- Nearly 4000 Palm Beach School District Students, Staffers, Tested Positive For COVID-19
- Boca Raton Woman Jailed On DUI Charge, “Did What She Pleased”
- TROPICAL STORM WARNING: Florida In Forecast For Latest System
- Man Charged In Delray Beach LGBTQ Crosswalk Vandalism
- One Dead In Delray Beach Shooting
- CLAIM: The Bridge Sober Home Let Client Use Drugs, Die
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Continues To Form, Next Name Is Claudette