BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County Commission has officially adopted an ordinance that bans panhandling in unincorporated Palm Beach County intersections. This includes West Boca Raton, which — as most folks realize — isn’t really a part of Boca Raton.
Yes, the days of driving by folks holding signs declaring, “we’ve lost everything,” “we have nothing,” “I’ve been dying from cancer for the past 12 years,” and “any little bit helps,” all while wearing brand new Nike Airs and designer jeans, will soon be over.
From the county commission:
adopted an ordinance prohibiting solicitation on county and state roads in unincorporated Palm Beach County. The ban pertains to anyone standing in the street or median soliciting for business and charitable contributions, distributing materials or goods, and displaying information. Sidewalks and road shoulders are exempt. Prohibited activities include but are not limited to panhandling, collection of donations for or by nonprofit organizations or the sale or distribution of merchandise or publications.
Unclear at this point how PBSO intends to enforce the ordinance, but soon, major intersections in West Boca — including Palmetto Park, Glades and 441 — should look a little less like any bridge under the Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia.
The City of Boca Raton already bans panhandling.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- WOMAN VANISHES FROM FORT LAUDERDALE HOLLYWOOD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
- TRAFFIC ALERT: I-95 To Close Tonight In Boca Raton
- MAJOR FLIGHT DELAYS: Flights From Florida To New York, Mid-Atlantic Delayed Due To Smoke
- SWAT Storms Cortland Uptown Boca, Nabs Two On Weapons, Financial Crimes
- DOUNUGHT DISASTER: Krispy Kreme Sued In Palm Beach County After Critical Injury
- BOCA POLICE 911 CALL: WITNESS FEARED FOR CHILD IN CAR
- National Hurricane Center Still Monitoring System Far East Of Florida
- Pedestrian Struck By Brightline Train In Delray Beach
- WATCH VIDEO: BOCA RATON OFFICER PULLS PREGNANT WOMAN FROM CAR