BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (From FAU) — The University Galleries in the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters at Florida Atlantic University will present “New Art: South Florida Cultural Consortium Visual and Media Artists Fellowship Exhibition” from Friday, Sept. 11 through Saturday, Nov. 7 in the Ritter Art Gallery, and Friday, Sept. 18 through Saturday, Oct. 31 in the Schmidt Center Gallery, 777 Glades Road,, Boca Raton campus. There will be an opening event on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 6:30 p.m. for the Schmidt Center Gallery, followed by the Ritter Art Gallery at 7:30 p.m. The event will feature a live musical performance and a number of artists in the exhibition will be present. The exhibition and all related programming are free and open to the public.
“New Art” presents recent work by 12 artists from Florida’s five southeastern counties. These artists are winners of a highly competitive annual grant awarded by the South Florida Cultural Consortium, with prizes of $7,500 and $15,000 grants. The artists in the exhibition are Loriel Beltran (Miami-Dade County); Aleister Eaves (Monroe County); Dara Friedman (Miami-Dade County); Gonzalo Fuenmayor (Miami-Dade County); Brookhart Jonquil (Miami-Dade County); Sarah Knouse (Palm Beach County); Lucinda Linderman (Miami-Dade County); Silvia Lizama (Broward County); Janet Onofrey (Broward County); Kerry Phillips (Miami-Dade County); Sofia Valiente (Broward County) and Reed van Brunschot (Miami-Dade County). The artists were selected through a two-step judging process, beginning with a regional panel and followed by a national panel of art professionals.
The 2015 edition of the exhibition marks the fifth time since 2001 that the exhibition has been presented by FAU’s University Galleries. The curators for this year’s exhibition are Mariela Acuna, FAU alumna and current family programs coordinator at the Norton Museum of Art and fellow at the Girls’ Club Collection, and Rod Faulds, director of the University Galleries. The work selected for the exhibition represents each artist’s practice while also bringing attention to relevant issues in contemporary art. The exhibition presents a wide variety of media: drawing, painting, film, photography as well as the occasional golf club. Several artists in the exhibition work with reclaimed materials and use the objects’ history as their medium. Others bring attention to the ostentatious consumer culture in which we live, using non-traditional materials such as fashion magazine articles, marble counter tops, plastic bags, table tops and lamps to increase viewers’ awareness of the world around them.
The exhibition includes two site-specific installations in the Schmidt Center Gallery Public Space by Miami-based artists Kerry Phillips and Brookhart Jonquil that will be installed with the assistance of FAU students and graduates. Aleister Eaves, a multi-disciplinary artist, writer and actor, will recreate her childhood bedroom in the Schmidt Center Gallery and invite her viewers to experience the space the way she did many years ago.
The South Florida Cultural Consortium is funded in part with the support of the National Endowment for the Arts; the Florida Department of State Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture; the Boards of County Commissioners of Broward, Miami-Dade, Martin and Monroe counties; the Cultural Council of Palm Beach County; the R.A. Ritter Foundation; and Beatrice Cummings Mayer.
The remainder of the 2015-16 schedule includes:
- 2015 Biennial Faculty Art Exhibition, on view at Schmidt Center Gallery: Friday, Nov. 13 – Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016
- Fall Bachelor of Fine Arts Exhibition, on view Friday, Nov. 20 – Saturday, Dec. 12.
- FAU Potters Guild Fall & Spring Show and Sale, Thursday, Dec. 18 and Friday, Dec. 19; and Thursday, May 13, 2016 and Friday, May 14, 2016
- DIRT: Yuta Suelo Udongo Tè, Friday, Jan. 22 – Saturday, March 5, 2016
- Jay Critchley, Incorporated, on view Friday, Feb. 5 – Saturday, April 2, 2016
- Boys & Girls Club of Palm Beach County: Annual Imagemakers Exhibition, Friday, March 11, 2016
- Masters of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition, Thursday, April 15 – Friday, May 14, 2016
- Spring Bachelor of Fine Arts Exhibition, Thursday, April 15 – Friday, May 6, 2016
The University Galleries are open Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m., and Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Visitors must obtain a $2 parking pass or employ the limited metered parking before visiting the Galleries. More extensive parking directions are available online at www.fau.edu/galleries. The University Galleries operate an active Museum Education Program that is approved as a Field Experience Provider by the School District of Palm Beach County. Class and other group tours can be arranged during and outside of open hours by appointment.
All major exhibitions include lectures and related programs, open to the public and free of charge. Program details to be announced. For more information on any of the exhibitions, visit www.fau.edu/galleries.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Read The Lawsuit: Springsteen Drummer Max Weinberg Sues Boca Car Dealer
- Palm Beach County Could Give You $100,000 For A House
- Coconut Creek Man Killed In Head-On Crash South Of Boca Raton
- Jail Van, Prisoner Bus Crash In North Broward County
- Fire Ravages West Boca Raton Home Overnight
- Cool Weather Is Here! Boca Raton, Delray Beach To Drop Into 50’s
- Boca Chase Chases $2300 By Foreclosing On Homeowner
- Anti-Semitism Claim At Boca High As Teacher Assigns Palestine Work
- Mass Delays At Palm Beach International, Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International