BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Florida Highway Patrol is identifying the victim of Monday’s fiery crash on I-95 at Palmetto Park Road as 55 year old James Ferrauilo of Pompano Beach.
Investigators say Ferrauilo — driving a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder — was apparently unaware that traffic had stopped in front of him as he traveled northbound on I-95. Despite a last second attempt to avoid impact, investigators say he crashed into Dawn Knowels-Gassett, 35, also of Pompano. Knowels-Gassett, in a 2016 Ford Escape, had stopped on I-95 due to traffic. The Escape was hit so hard that it rotated out of control until it came to rest facing southwest in the right shoulder.
Ferrauilo’s Pathfinder also spun, ultimately coming to rest southeast in the inside center lane on I-95 as the front of the car became engulfed in flames. Ferrauilo was extricated from the Pathfinder by Boca Raton Fire Rescue. He was pronounced dead at Delray Medical Center.
Knowels-Gassett sustained serious injuries and is being treated at Delray.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems South Of Florida
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Parents Forced To Make Permanent Learning Choice
- FLORIDA: Gov. DeSantis’ COVID Eviction Ban Ending
- Boca Raton Chiropractor Jonathan Rouffe Pleads Guilty, Faces 10 Years In Federal Prison
- Boca Barber Shoots At Customers, Boca Police Trim His Freedom
- LOTS OF DEATH: Florida Again Reporting High COVID Death Numbers, Infections
- COVID: Lynn University Continues “Block” Scheduling Through Spring
- COVID: Palm Beach School Board Member Calls For More Transparency
- COVID: Palm Beach County Schools Report More Cases, But No Outbreak