BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Boca Raton Fire Rescue Media Release) — On Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Boca Raton Fire Rescue units were dispatched to the report of a structure fire in an apartment building located at 280 NW 20th Street.
The 911 caller was an occupant of the apartment where the fire was located and stated that they were frying chicken when the fire occurred. An attempt was made to smother the fire by placing a cookie sheet over the pan. Firefighters stated this was the correct action to take and by doing so the occupants kept the fire damage limited to the stove top and the microwave located above it. A neighbor obtained a nearby fire extinguisher and was able to extinguish the fire as fire crews arrived.
The 1st arriving fire crews found heavy smoke on the north side of the apartment building. When fire crews made entry into the apartment they found the fire had been extinguished, however, there was smoke damage throughout the apartment making it uninhabitable. The onsite manager is providing lodging for the residents in another apartment until their apartment can be cleaned.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) kitchen fires are the number 1 cause of fires in the United States. It is important to stay in the kitchen while cooking and to make sure that once you are finished all burners are turned to the off position and combustible materials are kept away from the hot cooking surface.
Have a tight fitting lid for the pot or pan you are using and have a fire extinguisher and know how to correctly use it.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Heading To Disney World? No Masks Outside, Still Required Inside
- LOWEST IN A YEAR: Local COVID Hospitalizations Plummet
- No Mask Required In Publix If You Are Vaccinated
- Enhanced DUI Charge For Boca Man, Open Corona In Car When Stopped
- Florida Airports Remind: You MUST Wear Masks
- SEVEN BRIDGES DELRAY: Federal Judge Rules In Favor Of HOA, Expect Appeal
- Delray Man Says He’s Worth $27M, Refuses To Pay $117 Dinner Check
- Masks Remain Mandatory In Palm Beach County Schools
- BREAKING: CDC Says Vaccinated People Can Stop Wearing Masks