BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com has become aware of a seemingly new sales tactic being used by exterminators, art sales people, closet installers and landscapers. Likely using the Palm Beach County Property Appraiser’s database, the salesperson knocks on your door and immediately starts a sales pitch — claiming multiple times that that they are already working for your neighbor, “Betsy and Bob.” They know your neighbor’s name courtesy of the public database, but — as you would guess — your neighbor has no business relationship with the salesperson whatsoever.
We have learned that this tactic is in heavy play by exterminators and art salespeople in south Palm Beach County — especially in new communities where gates remain open. While certainly not a crime to use public databases for research, we warn our readers not to get suckered into sales or contracts based on false representation that your neighbor is doing it, too. Exterminators often claim that they are offering a great deal because all of your neighbors are buying in.
As it turns out, they’re not.
If you are uncomfortable with a sales call, never hesitate to call the police. If you are bigger than the sales person, don’t hesitate to take a photo and send it our way at news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Let us know the company name and the sales pitch — we’ll be happy to warn our readers. We also always suggest use of a credit card for purchases, as most credit card companies have dispute mechanisms if you were lied into purchasing goods or services.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Heavy Rain For Days, Flood Watch Through Sunday
- TRAFFIC: Palm Beach County Projects Slow The Go, See Them All Here
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems South Of Florida
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Parents Forced To Make Permanent Learning Choice
- FLORIDA: Gov. DeSantis’ COVID Eviction Ban Ending
- Boca Raton Chiropractor Jonathan Rouffe Pleads Guilty, Faces 10 Years In Federal Prison
- Boca Barber Shoots At Customers, Boca Police Trim His Freedom
- LOTS OF DEATH: Florida Again Reporting High COVID Death Numbers, Infections
- COVID: Lynn University Continues “Block” Scheduling Through Spring