UPDATED: September 15, 2017 at 3:57 PM with report from PBSO of death related to generator. Death report follows this article.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — We call it like we see it, so please don’t take it personally when we say this: if you are being poisoned by your generator, you are likely an idiot.
There. We just said what many are likely thinking.
Professionally installed generators should be nowhere near vents, windows or air-intake systems leading into your home. All counties require inspections, permits and re-inspections before they are turned on. If you are lucky enough to be connected to a natural gas line, the gas company (likely Florida Public Utilities) also has to sign off.
Simply put: there is absolutely no reason, unless you are cutting corners, using a shady company, violating county ordinances or having some sort of catastrophic mechanical failure that you should be inhaling carbon monoxide if your generator is running.
But there is a simple way to make sure you are safe. It’s called a carbon monoxide detector. We’re big fans of Nest, which is both a smoke detector and CO2 detector. It’s $118 at amazon. But you can buy $20 carbon monoxide detectors at Target or from Amazon. Small price to pay.
We are amazed at the stories now being reported of people sickened by carbon monoxide emitted by generators. We are sure some of those affected are the brain dead amongst us who opted to put portable generators in a garage (with a door that leads into the home).
But the bottom line is this: don’t be stupid. Don’t be idiotic. Don’t put generators in or near your house. Buy carbon monoxide detectors to make sure you’re safe. We can’t help you get through all parts of your day, but we certainly can point you in the right direction here.
From PBSO at 3:50pm Friday, September 15, 2017
On Thursday September 14, 2017, at 8:00 pm, deputies and Palm Beach County Fire Rescue responded to the 6100 block of 185th Terrace N in Loxahatchee, in reference to an unresponsive female. When PBCFR arrived they immediately became aware of a generator the family had been using during the hurricane which was located near the garage area of the residence, the exhaust had been facing directly into the garage while operating. PBCFR discovered the Carbon Monoxide levels to be very high inside the home and evacuated three people out of the residence. Two victims were flown to St Mary’s Medical Center and one victim was taken to Palms West Hospital for treatment. A female, Elaine Kotake was pronounced deceased on scene. No foul play is suspected.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark. BocaRudeton™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. Sirens™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “You hear sirens, we know where they went,”™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “Don’t Want To Be Seen Here? Don’t Be Rude Here!™” is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 866-4-FL-NEWS. Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- ALERT: US27 CLOSED, DOUBLE FATAL CRASH NEAR ALLIGATOR ALLEY
- SEVEN BRIDGES SUED: Pool Company Claims $20,000 Balance, Poop Removal
- Boca Raton Mayor Scott Singer Reacts To School Shooting
- EVACUATION: Morikami Park Elementary School Evacuated
- Delray Beach Woman Dies In Crash Near Bocaire Country Club
- Corey Zeidman, Boca Raton Poker Pro, Indicted On Federal Fraud Charges
- SEVEN BRIDGES DELRAY BEACH: ANOTHER HOMEOWNER HEADS TO FEDERAL PRISON
- BREAKING: TWO DEAD IN FIREY CRASH ON I-95, ROAD CLOSED
- Tri-Rail Train Hits, Kills Pedestrian Late Wednesday Morning In South Florida