[Ed. Note/Updated 12/25/2018 to remove reference to Mr. Barbieri not responding to emails. There is apparently a tech issue with the School Board email system. He has reached out to us, on Christmas, no less].
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Palm Beach County School District Media Release) — What follows is a Palm Beach County School District Press Relese. The new elementary school will have minimal to no de-crowding effect on Whispering Pines or Waters Edge elementary schools.
Press Release Verbatim: After months of conversations, number crunching and site visits, Florida Department of Education Commissioner Pam Stewart has approved a new elementary school for the City of Boca Raton.
Currently referred to as O5C, the school will be built on land donated by the City of Boca Raton near Don Estridge High Tech Middle School, a donation first orchestrated by then Councilman and now Mayor, Scott Singer and District 5 Board Member and School Board Chair, Frank Barbieri, in January of this year.
The school will be the first new school built in the City of Boca Raton in many years and will provide up to 1,000 new student seats to relieve overcrowding occurring in all of the city’s elementary schools.
“Christmas has come early,” Barbieri said of the news today. “The approval to build this school did not come easily, and I’m proud of the District team for being able to provide data-based answers to the Department of Education’s questions and concerns throughout this process.”
Mayor Scott Singer echoed the sentiment. “I’m proud of the hard work between the City and District to lobby hard for this school – it provides a long-term solution for the betterment of the City of Boca Raton and its residents,” he said.
The School District of Palm Beach County will release a timeline for construction of the new elementary school in early 2019.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FAU High School Celebrates 34 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists
- Palm Beach County School District Employees Infected With COVID-19
- BOCA RATON HIGH SCHOOL: Social Distancing Disaster
- Palm Beach County Extends Facial Covering Executive Order
- Just 54,000 Students Returned To Palm Beach County Schools, 107K Stayed Online
- PALM BEACH COUNTY SCHOOLS: Parents, How Was In-Person Learning?
- Boca Raton Doctor Facing 10 Years In Federal Prison
- Sinai Residences Breaks Ground On Phase Two
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Off South Florida To Bring Rain, May Develop