BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Department of Justice) — Jean Joseph, 48, of Boca Raton, Evergreen United Investments, LLC, (Evergreen), a Florida Limited Liability Company, and GSA Income and Development Fund, L.P., (GSA) a Foreign Limited Partnership, charged with wire fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1343. Joseph was arrested yesterday.
Ariana Fajardo Orshan, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida and George L. Piro, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Miami Field Office, made the announcement.
According to the Indictment, in October 2013, Kolmat do Brasil Ltda. (Kolmat), a Brazilian based company, sought to obtain a $30,000,000 construction loan from Evergreen, f/k/a USBREI, Inc., for its construction of the Magia Hotel Suite Resort, a luxury resort in Ipioca, Maceio City, Brazil. Kolmat negotiated the terms of the Evergreen loan with Joseph, Evergreen’s manager. The parties agreed on the loan terms, including a requirement that Kolmat invest $3,000,000 in GSA, f/k/a UBREI Capital Partners, L.P., an investor in properties leased to federal government agencies. Joseph was an authorized person and registered agent for GSA. The loan terms provided that if the loan was not authorized by Evergreen, Evergreen was to return to Kolmat within five business days the funds it paid to GSA. Kolmat paid to GSA the agreed upon $3,000,000, but did not receive the $30,000,000 loan or a return of the $3,000,000 investment. Instead, as alleged, Joseph used the funds for his own personal use and benefit.
U.S. Attorney Fajardo Orshan commended the investigative efforts of the FBI. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Lois Foster-Steers.
An indictment contains mere allegations. A defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon
- Florida Woman Hits Community Call Box In Front Of Cop, Jailed DUI
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Nearly Major Hurricane Southeast Of Florida
- ELECTIONS: Palm Beach County Supervisor Mails Ballots, Prepares Drop Boxes
- Palm Beach Schools Approach 6,000 COVID-19 Cases
- Hurricane Sam Strengthening, Models Mixed On Path