BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — We all spend a lot of time talking about and reporting on politics, crime, and the general craziness of life in South Florida. But sometimes you need to take a step back and realize that The City of Boca Raton is involved in — simply put — some super cool stuff.
Experts at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center — in conjunction with FAU — released roughly 100 baby sea turtles into the ocean after dark tonight. Tickets went on sale months ago. Other hatchling releases are already sold out for the rest of the season. See for yourself here.
Starting with a 30 minute presentation about sea turtles, their lives and the hazards they face led by a, the group of 25 or so humans crossed over from Gumbo Limbo to the beach, where — under the hue of red lights — roughly 100 baby sea turtles were carefully removed from buckets and released into the wild. Under the watchful eyes of researchers, the turtles waddled into the ocean, except for those who couldn’t. Four were taken back to the safe confines the human world and will be released when they’re a bit stronger.
Two takeaway messages: respect the beach markers where sea turtles are laying eggs, and be thankful that we live in a place where the City of Boca Raton and FAU work together to not just protect endangered species, but permit the public to watch something — up close — that most people in most of the world will never get to see.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- BREAKING: Person Shot Near Boca Raton Town Center Mall
- POLICE: Stay Away From Mall And Military Trail In Boca
- Popular Boca Raton Restaurant Was Shut For Roaches, Health Code Violations
- CDC: If Vaccinated, Some Family Visiting Okay, But No Travel, No Word On Restaurants
- Silky, Smooth and Slippery: Victoria’s Secret Sued By Palm Beach County Woman
- Delray Beach Woman Charged With Battering Senior Citizen
- School Board Member Dr. Robinson: It’s Time To Step Up On FSA’s
- In Hidden Trump, DeSantis COVID Report, Florida Looking Better
- POLICE: Woman Visiting From Saudi Arabia Charged With Shoplifting At Macy’s