PBI’s poor messaging capped by bizarre graphic on website
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The bizarre public relations handling of the closure of Palm Beach International Airport continues to become more bizarre.
The airport’s communications staff went silent for much of Tuesday. The airport’s website merely promoted itself, not the fact that the airport was shut down. The site initially provided no information to the tens of thousands of travelers impacted by the storm.
Then a mid-day update was published after we called the airpot staff to task on BocaNewsNow.com. The announcement: the airport would reopen this afternoon. Except that announcement was quickly replaced with another announcement saying they wouldn’t — essentially blaming it on the FAA.
While Fort Lauderdale Airport returned to operational status, PBIA made no further announcements, but now says “we anticipate operations to resume early Wednesday 9/4, though we don’t have a confirmed time.”
Looks like PBIA may need a new communications team once Dorian is completely gone.
When your business is tourism, it stands to reason that amateurish graphics with poorly written “copy” needs to be replaced with professional messaging and updates.
Woo hoo! “Thank you for your continued patience! Party at Beta Beta Beta tonight! Woo hoo!”
PBIA: Do better. People are trying to get home. Businesses are trying to resume operations. Provide facts, not generalities. And stay away from lines like “thank you for your continued patience.” What’s next? “Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by flight delays?”
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed
- Boca Raton’s Moise Gadoury Jailed, Didn’t Register As Sex Offender
- NUMBER GAMES? COVID-19 Deaths High In Florida As DOH Says Positivity Low
- COVID-19 INFECTION: Boynton Elementary Student First In School District To Test Positive