13-year-old suspect arrested, charged
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: School District of Palm Beach County) — Palm Beach County School District Police arrested a 13-year-old suspect Monday for making a prank call, Friday, that led to a Code Red lockdown and a heavy police response at Loggers’ Run Community Middle School.
Authorities say that the suspect confessed to making the call to 911 claiming that there was a shooting at the school. The teenager is now in police custody and charged with making a false report regarding the use of a firearm in a violent manor- a second degree felony. Police say there was no validity to the call.
In addition to criminal charges, the suspect is also subject to disciplinary consequences as outlined in the School District’s Student Code of Conduct. “I want to commend our students who were on campus Friday as this was unfolding,”
Krista Hierholzer, principal of Loggers’ Run Middle School said in a call to the school’s families. “I’d also like to thank School District Police for the thorough investigation of this threat, and the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office for its assistance during the lockdown.” School Police underscores that all threats are taken seriously and encourages parents to speak to their children about the serious consequences of making a threat. Students should report any threat to a trusted adult, or anonymously through the Fortify Florida app.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- BIG JUMP: Now 22 COVID Infections In Palm Beach County Schools
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Aggravated Assault With Deadly Weapon Charge
- COVID-19: Boca, Delray Restaurant Horror Stories As CDC Says Eating Inside Is Bad Idea
- COVID-19 Reported In Boca Middle, Spanish River High, West Boca High
- Police Cam Captures Takedown Of Former Campaign Official
- Masks Still Required In Palm Beach County Schools
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Man Beats Dog In Boynton Beach, Police Investigate
- STABBING ON THE HIGH SEAS: Florida Man Sentenced For Using Gun, Knife On Captain
- WEATHER: Palm Beach County May Feel Lows Around 70