BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com is being contacted by many readers complaining that companies aren’t doing the right thing — refusing to refund trips, purchases, you name it. While we are investigating some of these and will absolutely name names over the next few days, don’t forget that you can always contest a charge with your credit card company.
American Express lets you do it online. If you have an Amex card, login to your account, look for a specific charge and then push the “dispute this charge” button. You’ll be asked a series of questions but when you are done, Amex will temporarily put a hold on the charge and investigate the merchant. If Amex rules in your favor, the charge will be reversed and the merchant will be fined.
Visa, Mastercard and Discover all have their own ways of launching disputes as well, but in all cases, they’ll place a hold on the charge and investigate. Login to your credit card’s website or call the customer service number. Tell the representative that you want to dispute a charge.
In all cases: the more information you have, the better. If you think someone is violating Florida law, take a screen shot of the law from the state’s website and include it with your dispute. If you asked for a refund and were denied, send a copy of the email. The credit card companies want to help you, but need proof and documentation to do so.
Do you think you’re being scammed? We love to look into consumer complaints. Email us at news (at) bocanewsnow.com. We will help you whenever we can — and we will expose wrongdoing when it is, in fact, wrong.
The Attorney General’s office is also a good place to file a complaint. You can visit that site, here.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton’s Jamie Savard Jailed On Drug Charge
- NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE: Cold Front Boca Raton, Delray Beach In Days
- Four Hospitalized, Three Critically In Boynton Crash
- FLORIDA HEALTH DEPT: NO COVID NUMBERS ON THANKSGIVING
- FLORIDA: Another 97 Empty Seats At Dinner Table As COVID Deaths Soar In State
- MASK FINE: Palmetto Place Condo Owner Fined $5100, She Says It’s Illegal
- KINSA: Florida Now COVID Critical
- Boynton Beach Man Arrested In Maryland For Local Murder
- Florida Hospital Available Capacity Now Under 25 Percent