BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: FAU) — Faculty in Florida Atlantic University’s Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters are stepping up to fill the need for personal protection equipment. In one case face masks, and in another, visors to hold face shields for health care workers.
Nick Jones, the costume shop manager for FAU’s Department of Theatre, along with his friends, Sam and Catherine Transleau, recently started making muslin face masks when they learned about the million mask challenge. This challenge was organized to encourage donations of masks to fill shortages in health care organizations around the country. In that first week, Jones and his friends were able to make about 250 masks, which were sent to the University of Washington hospital system in Seattle for distribution. This week they will drop off masks at Joanne’s Fabrics, which is making local South Florida donations to anyone who is in need of masks.
“Sam and I both have at-risk family members and friends and family who work in healthcare,” said Jones. “It feels awesome to be making a difference in this hard time.”
Julie Ward, assistant professor of visual arts and art history, is using the College’s 3D printer to make visors that hold face shields for health care workers. Technical Training Aid sent Ward the file, which takes about one hour and 45 minutes to make each visor. Ward is searching out a place that could use them, and is willing to send them wherever they are needed.
“I think we’re all looking for something positive to do now,” said Ward. “I’ll keep making them as long as I can.”
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: 90 Percent Chance Two Systems Form Within Days
- Carly Richards, 20, Killed In Boynton Beach Crash
- Boca Raton Lawyer Who Threatened Us Disqualified From Case We Covered
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems Southeast Of Florida May Become Victor, Wanda
- POLICE: Woman Charged With Firebombing Area Temple
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon