BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Who is infected in your neighborhood? Not your zip code. Not your town. But — in terms of Boca Raton, Delray Beach and Boynton Beach — your homeowner’s association.
That’s the question being asked of community managers throughout the area — all apparently forced to explain to homeowners that HiPAA , the federal regulation that protects patient privacy — applies in an HOA just as it does in a hospital.
“They don’t get it,” said a community manager who asked us to keep their name and community private. “Homeowners believe that they have a right to know if someone down the street has COVID-19. They don’t.”
The Florida Department of Health is reporting state, county and even statistics by zip code. But in Palm Beach County, where the 33446 zip code runs all the way from 441 to almost Military Trail, it’s a somewhat meaningless metric. The same is true with many other zip codes. 33428, for instance, covers a huge portion of “West Boca Raton” from 441 to the Everglades. Delray and Boynton have sizable zip code areas as well.
“What we fear,” said the community manager, “is rumors that start on a sidewalk in a community and end up on an HOA’s Facebook page. There’s huge legal liability there for a community and a ‘Scarlet Letter’ effect where someone will always be known as the ‘infected person.’ That’s not okay.”
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- SEVEN BRIDGES: Swingers, Seniors Fight Stability For Soul Of Community
- COVID ALERT: Palm Beach County Elevated To Critical
- NO BIG DEAL: Looks Like System Is Dissipating
- Delray Beach Bartender Charged With DUI
- Tropical Depression Could Form Within Day
- FLORIDA COVID: More Than 14K Cases Recorded On Friday, 148 Deaths
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Child Neglect, Weapon Charge
- Get Paid To Get A COVID Shot In Boca Raton
- Delray Beach Police Officer Arrested