TALLAHASSEE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Saturday afternoon that all schools in Florida will remain CLOSED through the end of the the 2019-2020 school year.
DeSantis said distance learning may not be ideal, but says it is the smart play right now.
“A lot of our kids haven’t seen friends for a while. This has had social cost to it. I’m sensitive to that,” said DeSantis. “You don’t want open schools and only have half the kids show up because their parents are afraid of that.”
DeSantis came under fire last week when he suggested that schools — in some places in Florida — could be reopened in May. Many parents across Florida immediately responded that reopening was a bad idea. DeSantis and his team apparently heard the complaints.
DeSantis also announced that the State is working with private companies to increase rapid COVID-19 testing as well as antibody testing. DeSantis said he would like to see tens of thousands of tests turned around in 24 hours.
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO BOCANEWSNOW.COM
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FAU Presents Virtual Dance Concert
- COVID: Palm Beach County ER Visits Increasing
- Palm Beach County Voting: Nearly Half Of Eligible Voters Have Already Voted
- Boca Raton’s Waltuch Family Sponsors Magen David Adom Ambulance
- DUI Charge For Delray’s Joanne McGinnis
- Palm Beach Schools: 209 Confirmed COVID-19 Cases
- Boca Raton’s Ruben Uraga Jailed, Is Sex Offender
- APOLOGY: William Latson, Fired Spanish River High Principal, Says Not Holocaust Denier
- COVID FLORIDA BAD: Palm Beach Positivity Tops 8 Percent, 4289 New Cases in State