TALLAHASSEE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Saturday afternoon that all schools in Florida will remain CLOSED through the end of the the 2019-2020 school year.
DeSantis said distance learning may not be ideal, but says it is the smart play right now.
“A lot of our kids haven’t seen friends for a while. This has had social cost to it. I’m sensitive to that,” said DeSantis. “You don’t want open schools and only have half the kids show up because their parents are afraid of that.”
DeSantis came under fire last week when he suggested that schools — in some places in Florida — could be reopened in May. Many parents across Florida immediately responded that reopening was a bad idea. DeSantis and his team apparently heard the complaints.
DeSantis also announced that the State is working with private companies to increase rapid COVID-19 testing as well as antibody testing. DeSantis said he would like to see tens of thousands of tests turned around in 24 hours.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- SCHOOL DISTRICT: Students Will Be Behind Plexiglass Barriers
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL SITUATION BAD: Latest HHS Numbers Scary
- HURRICANE CENTER: New Tropical Wave East Of Florida May Grow
- West Boca, Delray Medical Centers Restrict Visitors
- PALM BEACH SCHOOL TEACHERS: “We’ll Reward Kids Who Wear Masks”
- COVID CRISIS FLORIDA: State Reports Another 16,935 Infections, 140 Deaths
- ARMED ROBBERY OUTSIDE TOWN CENTER MALL: Boca Raton Police Investigate
- UPDATE: Hurricane Center Now Says Two Systems Forming
- LAWSUIT: Don’t Burn The Body! Boca Raton Woman Set For Cremation, Son Says Stop…