TALLAHASSEE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Saturday afternoon that all schools in Florida will remain CLOSED through the end of the the 2019-2020 school year.
DeSantis said distance learning may not be ideal, but says it is the smart play right now.
“A lot of our kids haven’t seen friends for a while. This has had social cost to it. I’m sensitive to that,” said DeSantis. “You don’t want open schools and only have half the kids show up because their parents are afraid of that.”
DeSantis came under fire last week when he suggested that schools — in some places in Florida — could be reopened in May. Many parents across Florida immediately responded that reopening was a bad idea. DeSantis and his team apparently heard the complaints.
DeSantis also announced that the State is working with private companies to increase rapid COVID-19 testing as well as antibody testing. DeSantis said he would like to see tens of thousands of tests turned around in 24 hours.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Heading To Disney World? No Masks Outside, Still Required Inside
- LOWEST IN A YEAR: Local COVID Hospitalizations Plummet
- No Mask Required In Publix If You Are Vaccinated
- Enhanced DUI Charge For Boca Man, Open Corona In Car When Stopped
- Florida Airports Remind: You MUST Wear Masks
- SEVEN BRIDGES DELRAY: Federal Judge Rules In Favor Of HOA, Expect Appeal
- Delray Man Says He’s Worth $27M, Refuses To Pay $117 Dinner Check
- Masks Remain Mandatory In Palm Beach County Schools
- BREAKING: CDC Says Vaccinated People Can Stop Wearing Masks