BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — No one wants to think about death, but if you or someone you love may be vulnerable to COVID-19, it’s important to make sure there is a list of passwords and login information accessible to at least one person.
Digital succession rights continue to be an issue battled by families, lawyers and big data companies. Who has the right to your vast digital library? Do online storage companies have a requirement to grant access to your Dropbox, Google Drive or other folders or files to someone who claims to be a loved one following your death? How can you tell your loved one’s credit card company to turn off the credit cards — especially when hold times are now extreme due to COVID-19 furloughs?
The easiest way to solve these problems: unfettered online access to your accounts and information.
These issues are solved with a password. If you expect a family member or significant other to deal individually with every online company, note that the time spent in the middle of grieving your loss could be measured in weeks and months, instead of hours or days. Even estate plans and wills that call for a digital rights transfer will be difficult to enforce — or act upon — in the midst of COVID-19 slowdowns and shutdowns.
Guidance: make a list, put it in a safe place that only a trusted person knows, and rest assured that if you die, your important digital information, music, movies and photos will live on.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Boca Raton Man Claimed Girlfriend Had Knife, Pills, So Batters Her To Save Her
- FAU Henderson University School Ranked Second In USA For K-5
- Woman Slips On Pool Deck, Sues Boca’s Broken Sound Country Club
- HURRICANE CENTER: Keep An Eye On Growing System East Of Florida
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District