Local Organizer Cites “Bill Of Rights” As Proof Golf Closures Are Wrong
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Now it’s a national story.
We have — for days — been covering the online local petition “demanding” that Palm Beach County officials rescind an executive order mandating that all golf courses remain closed. The closures are to prevent the spread of COVID-19. But that hasn’t stopped thousands from complaining — and some from even violating the order and trespassing on golf courses.
The New York Times this weekend covered the story.
We’ll link to it below.
The standout quote comes from Scott Eckert who created the “Change.Org” petition — a petition that, like all petitions online — is meaningless. Eckert is quoted as saying: “There is a Bill of Rights and our civil liberties have been trashed.”
BocaNewsNow.com reviewed the Bill of Rights and found no mention of golf.
The national reader responses in the New York Times show little support for the local unhappy golfers. Here are a few:
“When one compares the tragedy of having no golf to the reality of life for Anne Franks’ family in Amsterdam, the words ‘get a grip’ come to mind.”
“Last time I looked, the Bill of Rights did not cover freedom to golf during a pandemic. Maybe I missed it.”
“As a European, I find the individualism, selfishness, entitlement and whatever else you want to add of these people simply disgusting.”
“I don’t know why people who can’t follow the rules about golf think they won’t run into someone else who can’t follow the rules about masks or hand washing or social distancing. This isn’t about golf. It’s about the social contract. It’s about some people being scofflaws and ruining it for everyone else. Be an adult. Stay home.”
As we reported last week, BocaNewsNow.com was on the receiving end of several angry voicemails and threatening emails. We are re-publishing two of the phone calls below.
Here’s a link to the New York Times article.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER
- CODE ENFORCEMENT: We Have Every COVID-19 Inspection In Boca Raton, Read The Reports
- Palm Beach County Says Bars Can Open Sooner Than Expected
- Boca Raton’s Jill Davis Charged With DUI, Nearly Three Times Legal Limit
- Boca Raton’s Timothy Werner Refuses DUI Test, Jailed
- Boca Raton’s Moise Gadoury Jailed, Didn’t Register As Sex Offender
- NUMBER GAMES? COVID-19 Deaths High In Florida As DOH Says Positivity Low
- COVID-19 INFECTION: Boynton Elementary Student First In School District To Test Positive