DeSantis: New Yorkers Created Problem For South Florida, Not Ready For Phase One Recovery, Yet
TALLAHASSEE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Governor Ron DeSantis’ reopening plan excludes Palm Beach County, Broward County and Miami Dade County. DeSantis said South Florida continues to be the worst in the state of Florida and is not yet ready to open.
The plan is being announced announced Wednesday afternoon.
“We do have hope, there is a light at the end of the tunnel,” he said as he started announcing his plan during a 5 p.m. Eastern Time news conference.
Arguably sounding like President Donald Trump, with whom Gov. DeSantis met with in Washington on Tuesday, DeSantis ran through a list of media predictions based on scientific models and explained that everything was wrong. He displayed media reports on a large screen as he discounted the science.
“The facts should be more comforting than the fear,” said DeSantis.
Governor DeSantis said South Florida’s problem — and the reason it is being excluded from Phase 1 — is the influx of New Yorkers who brought COVID-19 into Palm Beach County.
“Southeast Florida, quite frankly, just had a lot of people from New York City coming down, that’s the normal thing. They didn’t know they were bringing the virus in February and early March, and so that was really the seeding of that, and the other communities (in the state) didn’t have that to the same extent.”
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- VERY BAD: COVID Positivity Jumps In Palm Beach County, Deaths, Infections Up Statewide
- FAU High School Celebrates 34 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists
- Palm Beach County School District Employees Infected With COVID-19
- BOCA RATON HIGH SCHOOL: Social Distancing Disaster
- Palm Beach County Extends Facial Covering Executive Order
- Just 54,000 Students Returned To Palm Beach County Schools, 107K Stayed Online
- PALM BEACH COUNTY SCHOOLS: Parents, How Was In-Person Learning?
- Boca Raton Doctor Facing 10 Years In Federal Prison
- Sinai Residences Breaks Ground On Phase Two