BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com has learned that there is growing concern that parents — in some cases — are taking “assessment” tests for their children during “distance learning.”
The assessments are used to determine mastery of a subject or skill.
BocaNewsNow.com has been contacted by teachers at several Palm Beach County area elementary and middle schools who say there is no way to have an accurate look at how kids are doing remotely during distance learning. While many families are “playing by the rules” as one teacher put it, there are apparently many who are not.
“Kids that never did well are suddenly getting everything right,” said one teacher. “It’s just not believable. This only works if parents let their kids do the work.”
The problem is apparently so pervasive that end of year tests for many — but not all — students have been canceled, altered or even delayed until the start of the next school year.
“We don’t want meaningless results,” said a middle school teacher at a South Palm Beach County school. “Right now, there is no way to accurately grade the kid who is doing what he or she is supposed to be doing against a kid who is having mom or dad take a test. It completely throws off the curve.”
”Parent involvement is good” said an area elementary school teacher. “Parents actually doing the work so their kids can just play all day is not. We only see students for online video chats for a few minutes each day. We have no way of knowing what they’re doing when those chats are over.”
The Palm Beach County School District academic year is now in the home stretch. The last day of school is May 29th.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Firefighters Battle Elevator Blaze
- Palm Beach County ICU’s Packed, COVID Count Rising
- OUTRAGEOUS AGENTS: Tinder Leads To Battery Charge For Boca Realtor
- HORRIBLE: FLORIDA PASSES 25,000 DEATHS AS DESANTIS PROMOTES EMPLOYMENT
- Mizner Country Club GM Says Club Not Involved In Drug Sales
- Two In West Boca Home Jailed On Drug Charges
- POLICE: No, This Cat Wasn’t Shot In The Face And Dumped In Boca Raton
- GETTING WORSE: South Palm Beach County ICUs Full, COVID Count Up
- PUBLIX: COVID Vaccine Appointment Site Open Again