BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — BocaNewsNow.com has learned that there is growing concern that parents — in some cases — are taking “assessment” tests for their children during “distance learning.”
The assessments are used to determine mastery of a subject or skill.
BocaNewsNow.com has been contacted by teachers at several Palm Beach County area elementary and middle schools who say there is no way to have an accurate look at how kids are doing remotely during distance learning. While many families are “playing by the rules” as one teacher put it, there are apparently many who are not.
“Kids that never did well are suddenly getting everything right,” said one teacher. “It’s just not believable. This only works if parents let their kids do the work.”
The problem is apparently so pervasive that end of year tests for many — but not all — students have been canceled, altered or even delayed until the start of the next school year.
“We don’t want meaningless results,” said a middle school teacher at a South Palm Beach County school. “Right now, there is no way to accurately grade the kid who is doing what he or she is supposed to be doing against a kid who is having mom or dad take a test. It completely throws off the curve.”
”Parent involvement is good” said an area elementary school teacher. “Parents actually doing the work so their kids can just play all day is not. We only see students for online video chats for a few minutes each day. We have no way of knowing what they’re doing when those chats are over.”
The Palm Beach County School District academic year is now in the home stretch. The last day of school is May 29th.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Delray Beach Police Officer Arrested
- IT’S ALIVE: Hurricane Hunter Finds Circulation In System Near Florida
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens