UPDATE – 5:25 p.m: We now have the letter. See below.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners is drafting a letter requesting Governor Ron DeSantis grant permission for the County to reopen.
While Mayor Dave Kerner in his last news conference said that Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties would work together to reopen simultaneously, it appears that position has changed.
Broward and Miami-Dade continue to have higher — and at some times significantly higher — COVID-19 infection and death rates that Palm Beach County. It appears that the Commission believes the Broward and Miami-Dade numbers are not representative of what’s happening in Palm Beach County and that it’s time to move forward.
The concern has consistently been that residents of Miami-Dade and Broward would drive north to Palm Beach County — and specifically Boca Raton — to use beaches and services, potentially spreading COVID-19 into the area at a higher rate. Those fears continue, but the damage caused by delaying a reopening appears to be more of a fear at this point.
It is unclear when the letter will be sent, or just how quickly DeSantis will respond. He suggested Wednesday that the region may not yet be ready for a reopening.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- TEACHERS: Palm Beach County Parents Don’t Understand Where They’re Sending Kids
- Boynton Beach Woman Jailed, Tried To Smuggle Drugs Into Jail
- FLORIDA COVID: Palm Beach Pediatric Positivity 13.9 Percent As Schools Open
- Palm Beach County Schools: Substitutes Needed As In-Person Learning Begins
- Palm Beach Schools: Parents Still Say “No Way” To Sending Kids Back On Monday
- HURRICANE CENTER: Wilfred Forms, Early Track Towards Florida
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Food Service Worker Horror Story
- Palm Beach Schools: Who Are The Parents Sending Their Kids Monday?
- HURRICANE CENTER: Expect New Tropical Storm To Form Today