UPDATE – 5:25 p.m: We now have the letter. See below.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners is drafting a letter requesting Governor Ron DeSantis grant permission for the County to reopen.
While Mayor Dave Kerner in his last news conference said that Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties would work together to reopen simultaneously, it appears that position has changed.
Broward and Miami-Dade continue to have higher — and at some times significantly higher — COVID-19 infection and death rates that Palm Beach County. It appears that the Commission believes the Broward and Miami-Dade numbers are not representative of what’s happening in Palm Beach County and that it’s time to move forward.
The concern has consistently been that residents of Miami-Dade and Broward would drive north to Palm Beach County — and specifically Boca Raton — to use beaches and services, potentially spreading COVID-19 into the area at a higher rate. Those fears continue, but the damage caused by delaying a reopening appears to be more of a fear at this point.
It is unclear when the letter will be sent, or just how quickly DeSantis will respond. He suggested Wednesday that the region may not yet be ready for a reopening.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Boca Raton Man Claimed Girlfriend Had Knife, Pills, So Batters Her To Save Her
- FAU Henderson University School Ranked Second In USA For K-5
- Woman Slips On Pool Deck, Sues Boca’s Broken Sound Country Club
- HURRICANE CENTER: Keep An Eye On Growing System East Of Florida
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District