BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: PBSD) — This letter was just received by parents in the Palm Beach School District. It is written by Superintend Dr. Donald Fennoy:
As the 2019-2020 school year winds down, the District is looking ahead to planned summer activities. Unfortunately, unless circumstances change, traditional programs that the District has offered for years and takes great pride in providing will be altered over the coming months.
Due to the continued health threat associated with COVID-19, summer classes operated by the Palm Beach County School District will be held virtually. Additionally, there will be no summer camps held on District property.
These two decisions are understandably disappointing for our students and families. I was holding out hope that both programs would continue as normal this summer, but that is just not possible in the midst of this pandemic. Much thought and consideration went into this decision. The safety, health, and wellness of our students and staff is the District’s ultimate priority.
The District continues to follow the guidance of Federal, State, and local elected leaders and public health officials, and we will continue sharing information in a timely and transparent manner.
The PBCSD summer programs affected by this decision include:
- All District summer camps are canceled.
- ESY (Extended School Year) will take place virtually. Accommodations will be provided to the best of the District’s ability.
- Credit and course-recovery options will be provided virtually.
- Third grade Summer Reading Academy (SRA) is canceled.
- Some beginning English Language Learners (ELL) students will continue with academic opportunities, and resources will be mailed to their homes.
- Enrichment programs for children of migrant workers will also be offered by virtual instruction, along with materials mailed to their homes.
- Additional academic opportunities will be offered through individual elementary schools.
Plans regarding extended learning and summer school opportunities will be finalized in the coming weeks. Families will be notified through your child’s school. Families that already paid fees for summer camps will automatically receive refunds. No additional action is necessary on your part to receive a refund.
Those who paid by credit card will receive a refund to their credit card account. Payments made by cash or check will be refunded by check through the U.S. Mail. The District will be working with schools and their afterschool program directors to issue these refunds over the next few weeks. We appreciate your patience as this work takes place.
I understand the hardship that the cancellation of summer camps will cause, particularly if you depend on these programs as a source of childcare. For that reason, the District is currently working with our partner agencies to see what other opportunities may be available for children. More information on that is forthcoming.
You may recall that on April 18, 2020, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced that due to COVID-19, all K-12 school campuses in the State will remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. Palm Beach County School District Distance Learning continues through May 29, which is the last day of the 2019-2020 school year.
As a parent or guardian, I understand the challenges you may be facing in supporting your child academically in a Distance Learning environment. It has never been more important to be involved with your students’ lessons. Distance Learning is most successful when it is a group activity involving students, teachers, and parents or guardians.
It’s important to remember that you don’t have to understand your child’s lessons to support them with their work. Simply sitting beside them during a class, while they do homework, or asking them to explain to you what they learned that day are all methods of empowering and supporting young learners.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: Expect New Tropical Storm To Form Today
- OMNI MIDDLE BOCA: Overflow Rooms In Use, Shortage Of Supplies Already
- FLORIDA COVID: State Passes 13,000 Deaths, Infections Rising Again
- Palm Beach Schools: Constant Hand Washing, Masking, When Is Learning Time?
- Serious DUI Charge For Andrea Kruse of West Boca Raton
- Police Jail Delray Beach Man On Battery, Resisting Charges
- Delray Beach Man Charged With Stalking, Intimidation
- Boca Raton Area School Principals Being Praised For Early COVID Plans
- Boca Teacher Says Parents Are Huge Problem For Virtual Education