Pressure Mounts As Many Question Numbers
Our Analysis: The Only Consistency Is Inconsistency
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Palm Beach County’s COVID-19 numbers are now the subject of national attention, in at least two stories receiving national coverage Sunday morning.
A report by Yahoo News on Saturday and the Sun Sentinel on Sunday are now pointing to numbers from the Florida Department of Health that consistently show Palm Beach County is nowhere near meeting the White House and CDC guidelines set for reopening.
BocaNewsNow.com’s continued analysis of the numbers, however, points to little but a continued lack of inconsistency. While the inconsistency is certainly not ideal, it also does NOT seem to be pointing towards a dramatic increase of new cases.
For example, on May 10th, just 2.1-percent of those tested for COVID-19 were identified as testing “positive.” On May 11th 9.4-percent of those tested were positive. On May 12th, 5.8-percent tested positive. On May 13th, 7.7-percent. On May 14th 8.6-percent tested positive. And on May 15th, 8.2-percent tested positive.
The Sun Sentinel reports that Palm Beach County Mayor Dave Kerner declined to answer its questions concerning the County’s move to “Phase One.” Instead, the Kerner issued a response focusing on increase hospital capacity for those may get sick as the County continues its reopening.
Meantime, the Yahoo News report cites a Department of Homeland Security analysis that says Palm Beach County is now one of three hotspots in the country, with a dramatically increased infection count. Again, BocaNewsNow.com’s read of the numbers publicly available — assuming they are correct — does not support that report. While not showing a dramatic downward trend, the numbers also do not suggest a dramatic surge which could result in a re-closure of businesses and public spaces.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- FLORIDA COVID: Palm Beach Pediatric Positivity 13.9 Percent As Schools Open
- Palm Beach County Schools: Substitutes Needed As In-Person Learning Begins
- Palm Beach Schools: Parents Still Say “No Way” To Sending Kids Back On Monday
- HURRICANE CENTER: Wilfred Forms, Early Track Towards Florida
- PALM BEACH SCHOOLS: Food Service Worker Horror Story
- Palm Beach Schools: Who Are The Parents Sending Their Kids Monday?
- HURRICANE CENTER: Expect New Tropical Storm To Form Today
- OMNI MIDDLE BOCA: Overflow Rooms In Use, Shortage Of Supplies Already
- FLORIDA COVID: State Passes 13,000 Deaths, Infections Rising Again