BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — There is a HUGE spike in new cases reported Sunday by the Florida Department of Health, but before you assume it’s all doom and gloom, know that there was a significant increase in the number of tests conducted.
In fact, while the latest numbers reveal at least 1200 new confirmed positive cases on Saturday (in numbers released Sunday), the DOH is also reporting a massive increase in testing. According to health department documents, 29,608 tests were conducted — or processed — on Saturday, May 16th. Of all the tests conducted or processed, 2,346 were “positive,” which is 7.92 percent according to the DOH. That is actually LOWER than reports on Thursday and Friday, and well within the range of roughly 5 to 9.5 percent which has been the norm over the past two weeks.
By the numbers: there are at least 45,588 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Florida. The death count is now 1,973.
In Palm Beach County, the total case count is 4,524. The death count is 275. The median age of those infected has dropped again — now it’s just 51.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon
- Florida Woman Hits Community Call Box In Front Of Cop, Jailed DUI
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Nearly Major Hurricane Southeast Of Florida
- ELECTIONS: Palm Beach County Supervisor Mails Ballots, Prepares Drop Boxes
- Palm Beach Schools Approach 6,000 COVID-19 Cases
- Hurricane Sam Strengthening, Models Mixed On Path