BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — There is a HUGE spike in new cases reported Sunday by the Florida Department of Health, but before you assume it’s all doom and gloom, know that there was a significant increase in the number of tests conducted.
In fact, while the latest numbers reveal at least 1200 new confirmed positive cases on Saturday (in numbers released Sunday), the DOH is also reporting a massive increase in testing. According to health department documents, 29,608 tests were conducted — or processed — on Saturday, May 16th. Of all the tests conducted or processed, 2,346 were “positive,” which is 7.92 percent according to the DOH. That is actually LOWER than reports on Thursday and Friday, and well within the range of roughly 5 to 9.5 percent which has been the norm over the past two weeks.
By the numbers: there are at least 45,588 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Florida. The death count is now 1,973.
In Palm Beach County, the total case count is 4,524. The death count is 275. The median age of those infected has dropped again — now it’s just 51.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Woman Visiting From Saudi Arabia Charged With Shoplifting At Macy’s
- Sober Homes Operate In High End Delray Beach, Boca Raton Communities
- CVS Has COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments In South Florida Right Now
- Delray’s Carolyn Gulino Jailed On Enhanced DUI Charge
- Chevy Silverado Step Collapses, Driver Sues Schumacher Automotive
- Florida’s COVID Numbers Are Not Getting Better
- For Drew Abruzzese, A Fall From Food Network To Palm Beach County Jail
- Missing Boynton Woman Found Dead, Man Arrested
- Arrest In Seven Bridges: Audi Blocked By Mercedes Leads To Assault Charge