BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The number of available isolation beds in area hospitals appears to be declining as COVID-19 infection numbers soar across the area.
There are currently NO isolation beds available at Delray Medical Center, according to the Florida COVID Community Coronavirus Database. There are 6 available at West Boca Medical Center and 4 at Boca Raton Regional Medical Center. In Boynton Beach, Bethesda West reports 7.
The isolation bed count may prove to be a more helpful number in tracking hospitalizations across the area than ICU bed usage. Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees — in a highly controversial move — told hospitals last week to stop reporting the number of ICU beds in use, and to only report the number of ICU beds in use where patients are receiving an intensive level of care.
It was not clear how a terminal patient in an ICU bed receiving palliative care — but not “intensive” care — is counted.
It was not clear how a terminal patient in an ICU bed receiving palliative care — but not intensive care — is counted.
Even with the new mandate, the database — which reports numbers in ‘real time’ — shows just 1 ICU bed available at Bethesda West, 13 at Boca Raton Regional, 18 at Delray Medical Center and and 5 at West Boca Medical Center. The “intensive level of care” mandate is language.
The database is maintained by a team led by Florida’s fired lead data analyst Rebekah Jones.
Jones was fired when Gov. Ron DeSantis stated she refused to follow orders. Jones says she was ordered to suppress data. Her database uses live data streams that Florida health officials have not made publicly available.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Did Boca Raton Police Try To Hide Death Of Federal Judge?
- FLORIDA PROBLEMS: Record Positivity Rate, Record New COVID Infections
- Johnson and Johnson Shots Being Canceled Throughout Area
- Flights Resume After Bomb Scare, Major Weather Delays At Fort Lauderdale Airport
- Roaches Found In Boca Raton Yogurt Shop, State Shuts It Down
- Real Estate Agent Susan Caljean Jailed On DUI Charge
- GETTING WORSE: Florida COVID Positivity Rate Highest In A Month
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL COUNT JUMPS: More Than 3000 Hospitalized For COVID
- Is The Boca Raton Police Department Doing Enough To Prevent Traffic Deaths, Injuries?