BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The number of available isolation beds in area hospitals appears to be declining as COVID-19 infection numbers soar across the area.
There are currently NO isolation beds available at Delray Medical Center, according to the Florida COVID Community Coronavirus Database. There are 6 available at West Boca Medical Center and 4 at Boca Raton Regional Medical Center. In Boynton Beach, Bethesda West reports 7.
The isolation bed count may prove to be a more helpful number in tracking hospitalizations across the area than ICU bed usage. Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees — in a highly controversial move — told hospitals last week to stop reporting the number of ICU beds in use, and to only report the number of ICU beds in use where patients are receiving an intensive level of care.
It was not clear how a terminal patient in an ICU bed receiving palliative care — but not “intensive” care — is counted.
It was not clear how a terminal patient in an ICU bed receiving palliative care — but not intensive care — is counted.
Even with the new mandate, the database — which reports numbers in ‘real time’ — shows just 1 ICU bed available at Bethesda West, 13 at Boca Raton Regional, 18 at Delray Medical Center and and 5 at West Boca Medical Center. The “intensive level of care” mandate is language.
The database is maintained by a team led by Florida’s fired lead data analyst Rebekah Jones.
Jones was fired when Gov. Ron DeSantis stated she refused to follow orders. Jones says she was ordered to suppress data. Her database uses live data streams that Florida health officials have not made publicly available.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Delray Beach Police Officer Arrested
- IT’S ALIVE: Hurricane Hunter Finds Circulation In System Near Florida
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens