FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: BSO Media Advisory) — Investigators with the Broward Sheriff’s Office arrested Detective Luis Silberberg Thursday, accusing him of three criminal charges, including grand theft, official misconduct and obtaining property under $20,000 by fraud.
According to BSO’s Public Corruption Unit, Silberberg falsified overtime forms on seven occasions, lied more than 50 times about working a full shift when records showed he didn’t and ultimately defrauded BSO out of more than $15,000 in compensation.
Using a combination of investigative techniques, BSO detectives determined that Silberberg claimed he worked a regular shift and an overtime shift on the same day, when records showed he only worked the overtime shift.
They also determined that on 57 occasions, Silberberg claimed to have worked an entire day, while records showed he either did not leave his home at all or only worked part of his shift before returning to his home.
The investigation began more than 18 months ago when the FBI asked for BSO’s assistance investigating Silberberg as part of an unrelated case. BSO’s investigation revealed that over four months at the end of 2019, Silberberg was overcompensated $15,541 over 368 regular hours and 16 overtime hours.
Detectives arrested Silberberg Thursday afternoon at BSO’s Public Safety Building.
BSO hired Silberberg in September 2006. He most recently worked as a detective in BSO’s robbery unit. Silberberg had been suspended with pay since February. With today’s arrest, Silberberg’s status was changed to suspended without pay.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE SEASON ENDS: HOW CLOSE WERE THE PREDICTIONS TO REALITY?
- Computer Issue Hampers Boca Raton Regional Hospital Wednesday
- Boca Raton Woman Arrested After Incident Outside Renzo’s Pizza
- Woodfield Country Club Homeowners Sue Neighbors For Fraud
- City Of Boca Raton Appoints New City Council Member
- SKETCH RELEASED: I-95 SHOOTING LEFT THREE INJURED, INCLUDING CHILD
- LAWSUIT: Avante Boca Raton Nursing Home Patient Breaks Leg After Hit By Cart
- That Really Was A Body By The Turnpike South Of Boca Raton
- Lacrosse Coach Claims Kid Makes State Team, Allegedly Steals Registration Fee