FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: BSO Media Advisory) — Investigators with the Broward Sheriff’s Office arrested Detective Luis Silberberg Thursday, accusing him of three criminal charges, including grand theft, official misconduct and obtaining property under $20,000 by fraud.
According to BSO’s Public Corruption Unit, Silberberg falsified overtime forms on seven occasions, lied more than 50 times about working a full shift when records showed he didn’t and ultimately defrauded BSO out of more than $15,000 in compensation.
Using a combination of investigative techniques, BSO detectives determined that Silberberg claimed he worked a regular shift and an overtime shift on the same day, when records showed he only worked the overtime shift.
They also determined that on 57 occasions, Silberberg claimed to have worked an entire day, while records showed he either did not leave his home at all or only worked part of his shift before returning to his home.
The investigation began more than 18 months ago when the FBI asked for BSO’s assistance investigating Silberberg as part of an unrelated case. BSO’s investigation revealed that over four months at the end of 2019, Silberberg was overcompensated $15,541 over 368 regular hours and 16 overtime hours.
Detectives arrested Silberberg Thursday afternoon at BSO’s Public Safety Building.
BSO hired Silberberg in September 2006. He most recently worked as a detective in BSO’s robbery unit. Silberberg had been suspended with pay since February. With today’s arrest, Silberberg’s status was changed to suspended without pay.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Firefighters Battle Elevator Blaze
- Palm Beach County ICU’s Packed, COVID Count Rising
- OUTRAGEOUS AGENTS: Tinder Leads To Battery Charge For Boca Realtor
- HORRIBLE: FLORIDA PASSES 25,000 DEATHS AS DESANTIS PROMOTES EMPLOYMENT
- Mizner Country Club GM Says Club Not Involved In Drug Sales
- Two In West Boca Home Jailed On Drug Charges
- POLICE: No, This Cat Wasn’t Shot In The Face And Dumped In Boca Raton
- GETTING WORSE: South Palm Beach County ICUs Full, COVID Count Up
- PUBLIX: COVID Vaccine Appointment Site Open Again