HURRICANE-RELATED COVID TESTING CLOSURES CUTS NEW INFECTION COUNT, BUT NUMBERS STILL SIGNIFICANT
PALM BEACH COUNTY ADDS 12 DEATHS
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Manty testing sites statewide were closed Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday due to Hurricane Isaias, but that didn’t stop a still significant number of new COVID-19 cases and deaths from being reported.
The Florida Department of Health says 4,866 new COVID-19 cases were logged on Sunday through 11:59 p.m. Another 73 deaths were recorded statewide. The positivity rate of these tests — according to the state — is 9.09 percent. Even with state facilities closed, tests sent by doctors to out of state labs continued to be processed.
In Palm Beach County — where most testing sites have been closed since Thursday and won’t reopen until Tuesday — 312 new COVID-19 cases were recorded on Sunday through 11:59 p.m. The county added 12 new deaths. The positivity rate, according to the State of Florida, is 9.8 percent for Sunday’s reporting in Palm Beach County. That’s a significant increase from 8.2 percent the day before.
Palm Beach County itself is now reporting a “cumulative” positivity rate of 13.01 percent. That positivity rate considers every test recorded since the pandemic began. If you are unsure which number to consider, you’re not alone. There is significant confusion as to why the Palm Beach County Operations Center is reporting a “cumulative” number while the state is reporting a “daily” number.
There are now at least 491,884 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Florida with 7,157 deaths.
In Palm Beach County, 34,550 people have tested positive for COVID-19. The death count is at least 845.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- WEATHER: Palm Beach County May Feel Lows Around 70
- West Boca Raton High School Student Tests Positive For COVID-19
- Reminder: No Palm Beach County School Monday; Del Prado Staffer Tests Positive
- COVID-19: Huge Spike In Flu-Related ER Visits In Palm Beach County
- COVID-19: DUI Arrests Surge As Phase 3 Begins, Boca, Delray, Boynton Bars Reopen
- DESANTIS DELUSIONAL? Florida Passes 14K Deaths, Approaches 700,000 COVID Infections
- West Boca Man, Charged With Stalking, Says “Current Marriage Is A Joke”
- DEADLY DECISION? Phase Three Happening, Palm Beach County Masking Continues, Other Orders Lifting
- DESANTIS: PHASE 3 NOW STATEWIDE, LOCAL RULES LARGELY DON’T MATTER