BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Forecasters at the National Hurricane Center say a tropical wave in the Atlantic now has a 90-percent chance of developing into a tropical depression. While it is still possible the storm develops — then dissipates — it’s a reminder that we are entering the active part of what is expected to be an extremely active hurricane season.
We remind our readers in South Florida that NOAA is now calling for 25 named storms.
Here’s the 2 p.m. (Tuesday, August 11, 2020) update:
For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico: A low pressure system is located over the eastern tropical Atlantic more than a thousand miles east of the Lesser Antilles. Shower and thunderstorm activity decreased somewhat this morning, but new activity is now forming near the system's center of circulation. If these storms persist, then advisories would likely be initiated on a tropical depression later today or tonight. Even if a depression does not form by tonight, environmental conditions are expected to become more conducive for development while the system moves west-northwestward at around 15 mph during the next couple of days. Conditions are expected to become less conducive for development by the end of the week. * Formation chance through 48 hours...high...90 percent. * Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Is The Boca Raton Police Department Doing Enough To Prevent Traffic Deaths, Injuries?
- Crowds, Chaos At Fort Lauderdale Airport Monday Morning
- Golf Instructor Drake Kelso Jailed On DUI Charge, Said Gun Was In Car
- Woman Kills Federal Judge, Injures Boy In Boca Raton Crash
- More COVID Problems Florida, Positivity Rate Jumps Again
- Flying? Major Delays, Canceled Flights At FLL Today
- Significant Weather Advisory In Effect
- No Masks At Salt 7 Delray, We Were Told To Call Back During The Week
- Delray Beach Woman’s “Bumping” Leads To Battery On Senior Charge